Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Snap Weight question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Minnow

Default Snap Weight question

I am just wondering how all you find your depth with a diving crank. I have used snaps with stick baits and spinners but never with a diver. I fish a 21 foot deep lake and would like to run shad rap #5 at 18 or 19 feet. i dont have lead core yet but do have the snap weights. Where do you put the weight from the bait and how do you find bottom.
Thanks for input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

It's all in the Precision Trolling book

http://www.fishing411.net/
Old 09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Lund Guy

PT says adding 1 oz will add 30% to the dive curve of a bait. A #5 Shad Rap supposedly runs 9 ft max, so adding 1 oz would max it out at 12 feet. Adding a 2 ozer will get you to your desired depth, depending on the lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Keeper

Rule of thumb is for every oz of snap weight placed 20' in front of your lure you will gain 1/3 of that lures diving depth. Example=If a bait runs 12' max, adding a 1oz snap 20' in front of the bait will get you roughly 16' down. The same bait with a 2oz snap will run 20'.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund Guy View Post
PT says adding 1 oz will add 30% to the dive curve of a bait. A #5 Shad Rap supposedly runs 9 ft max, so adding 1 oz would max it out at 12 feet. Adding a 2 ozer will get you to your desired depth, depending on the lead.

2oz would only run around 15'. He would need 3oz snap to get roughly 18' down. Everyone I have talked with on this reccomends a 20' lead. The longer you go the less effective the weight wil become. Adversly the shorter the less action the bait will have. 20' seemed to be a pretty standard lead length for snap weights and cranks.