Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trolling rods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Minnow

Default trolling rods

Hi everyone. I decided to upgrade my trolling equiptment this year. What are everyones rod length favorites. I will be running 4 rods, 2 with planer boards with mono and lead core. Most trolling will be from 8' to 20'.
Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Wallhanger

For Planner boards I bought some Diawa 8' 6" Wilderness rods medium action, and put some Diawa Accudepth 27LCW reels on them.
Rods were 29.99 Reels 59.99. Good enough for pulling in line boards.

I`m cheap. I guess if you are upgrading you already have cheap.

I also have the Bass Pro walleye signature series trolling rods with the Diawa Sealine 17 LC reels on them.

These are nice but a bit light for pulling boards.

Last edited by whofan; 01-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

After trying various combinations of rods and reels, I have settled on using Shimano Talora TLA-86MH2 rods with Daiwa SG47LCA reels. Found that they work well for me on Lake Erie in many different situations at varying depths, 4' - 60' and deeper. Pulling in-line boards, uisng Jets, using Dipsys, with my planer board mast, long lining but have not tried lead core with this set-up yet. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default Trolling rods

If you are going to be pulling lead and using in line boards, I don't think expensive rods are any better than fiberglass rods. I think buying better quality reels is much more important. I have some cheap (I think I paid about 20 bucks for them) telescoping 8'6" rods from Cabelas and they work just fine. I have tried the older Accudepth line counter reels and didn't care for them. I upgraded to Sealine LCA reels, which in my view are much better, and finally upgraded to Shimano Tekota's and they are a couple of steps above all the ones mentioned above. Rods that are going to sit in rod holders don't need a lot of feel to them. Having reels with good quality drags are much more important to me. My 2 cents
Old 01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Keeper

I run two 8'-6" Cabela's depthmaster combos. Also two Browning six rivers reels on ugly stiks in 10'.
Both work OK for the 5-6 trips to erie I make per year. I use the same rod for musky in the fall.

My buddy runs a charter boat on Erie and he runs Diawa sealines or Okuma Clarion reels on BPS power or offshore all in the 8'-6" size. He swears by the rods and they get fished allot.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Slot Fish

I fish mainly Erie for Eyes and Ont. for Kings and love my Taloras. I went to 8' a few years ago and won't look back. Much easier to net fish and manuver around my smaller boat then the 9'6" rods I had before especially when fishing solo which is quite often.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

The Taloras are a nice rod.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Walleye angler

the bass pro walleye angler rods with a daiwa 27 lc has been a fool proof combo for me for a lot of years.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Keeper

My buddy and I have had good luck with the Cabela's Depthmaster Tournament Innerflow rods in various lengths. They are hard to rig initially and take a bit of adjustment (it is really weird not to be seeing guides) at first but the ones we are using have served well pulling divers and boards trolling Lk Michigan and have held up well to the 20# Kings we catch.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Length suggestions -
- I have 5 foot rods for leadcore when running multi-line sets.
- I have 8'6" rods to run outside the lead core rods. It I run boards I usually use the 8'6" rods on boards as well.
- I have 10'6" rods - that really have become my most favorite, most used trolling rods for long-line trolling (I rarely pull boards).
- I've got 14'6" rods that allow me to run outside the 5, 8'6", 10'6" rods and have multiples on each side of the boat without running boards.
- I've got 12'6" rods that are somewhat new to the stable - I'm still adjusting to them.

2 of each length.

If I were to only chose 2 it would either be 8'6" and 12'6", or 5' and 10'6". The 5' or pretty limited - they are off the back corners of the boat regardless if they are on lead or other line - but they get used a bunch with multi-line sets.

As the water get's rough - I try to have a 4 foot difference in rod lengths out each side of the boat. Example 5, 10.6, and 14.6 on each side. Or 5, 8.6, and 12.6 on each side - with the 5's running straight back.