Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ditch Bag - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Keeper

Default Ditch Bag

Had the opportunity to attend a Salmon fishing seminar with Dan Keating and Dave Mull this weekend. As you may recall Dave M was fishing in Lake Michigan on July 3, 2012 when the 18 foot boat he was on got swamped by some waves while trying to unwrap some copper from around a prop. The boat sunk. (as in to the bottom, still not found) He suggested everyone should have a ditch bag to grab on the way off the boat and listed some things that would have been useful, such as a bag that floats, mirror, whistle, flares, other signaling devices, waterproof radio, etc. What does everyone else thing should be useful. I have the bag coming, a ACR RapidDitch Express Bag. What you you all put in. REW, hope to hear from you too. After hearing Dave's story I can certainly see the importance. Thanks All.

By the way, Dan and Dave were great presenters, and yes, like catching salmon too!

Paul C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Flare gun, small knife, mag light, signal flag, whistle, 2 Snickers and a roll of toilet paper.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

One trick I learned for scuba diving applies to nighttime situations. Carry a large yellow garbage bag, rolled up for storage convenience. Blow it up as best possible and shine a flashlight into the constricted open end. Shows up as a much larger beacon than just a flashlight.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Wallhanger

CD's work great as a signal mirror. Aim thru the center hole at the aircraft/boat.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Wallhanger

Here's a link that has a couple of ditch bags

http://lifejacketsplus.com/categories/Survival-Aids/
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Keeper

Default Keep 'em coming

Thanks for the replies. Especially liked the Snicker Bars! Seriously great info, never would have thought of the garbage bag light. Dave Mull had a blow up orange vertical bouy. Can't find that one. The web site listed was pretty good too. Awful shipping price though.

Paul C
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich S View Post
Flare gun, small knife, mag light, signal flag, whistle, 2 Snickers and a roll of toilet paper.
I had to laugh, sorry. I just can't imagine floating in the middle of nowhere and needing the TP.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
I had to laugh, sorry. I just can't imagine floating in the middle of nowhere and needing the TP.
I was beginning to wonder...
Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Wallhanger

I had a friend fall out and was able grab the down rigger cable and got himself back in. After hearing that I got a inflatable emergency 2 man raft since I fish alone most of the time. I have it tethered to me so if I fall over board I can either pull myself back in or at least I can get out of the cold water since the boat is going to keep going. I keep the cell phone in a plastic bag in my pocket and I never get out to far so I still have cell coverage.