Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project - Page 21 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to Burr...

I agree but this engine has always been that way no matter which impeller I use. It has only had 2 impellers in its life. The 1st was changed by the dealer about 5 years ago and was only ever used....like now. I noticed this new one does the same weak stream, just like the original impeller, unless I put in gear and turn up the throttle a little bit, then she really starts shooting water, just like the old one. When it was running in neutral in my tank, I touched the cylinder heads a few times and it didn't burn me. I've always wondered about the cooling on this motor. I don't use my muffs because it doesn't squirt water even with the hose turn up all the way. I've read a lot of people say the same thing about this motor and its sister -the 98 mercury (same exact motor). Maybe a thermostat is involved here?

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-05-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to spurs101

I hardly ever trolled with this motor, it doesn't like to run slow, I hope I can get a film of it running full out Monday with 2 men in the boat...I'll be pushing around 1200lbs with it. I suppose if any more problems lurk inside of her I am going to find out then.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-06-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Slot Fish

Default purchased a larger plastic tank to run the motor...

I ran the motor more today: 15 minutes on a elevated idle setting followed by 15 minutes in forward gear and turned up the throttle to a comfy cruising speed and let it run. Water looked clean but was so turbulent I may have missed some carbon here and there. Driveway puddles looked clean too afterwards but did see 2 brown stains on the inside of the tank when I emptied the water. I keep wondering if the engine is still in clean up mode because every time it sits for awhile a little more brown stuff drips out of the prop.

Also changed my gear oil and looked at it real close, it looked new, kind of a clear green color (before i ran it today). Replaced both gaskets that go with the lower unit fill screws too.

I have till Monday to try to get it to where I feel it is totally clean, going fishing Monday.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-07-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Slot Fish

Default motor is A1 and I nailed a nice pike on 4lb test...

my ole mariner was able to plane the boat with 3 -200lb guys and gear 1300lbs worth (boat, motor, passengers and gear). ran well, like new actually and several times was running full throttle when we switched fishing spots, no sputtering, no stalling, and starts up fast. i'm a firm believer in seafoam. ended up catching nothing but a pike and releasing it. my buddy took a lot of pics and said he has shots of it jumping in the air air near the boat. we never measured or weighed it but we held it next to my leg for a couple pics so you can guess the size. took quite awhile to land him on my ultra light rod/reel and 4lb stren. was using a small orange jig with 1/32 jig head and a small shiner. I had no net but it was cold and we had a heavy pair of gloves so I grabbed him by the mouth to get him in the boat for the final pics. he was barely hoooked on the outside edge of his mouth so was an easy release. my buddy had to go do an estimate so I don't have the pics yet but will upload as soon as I see him, he may come over later on tonight...not sure. the pike was almost as long as my leg, maybe 28-29 inches, 6-7 lbs. not a real big one but a lot of fun on ultra light tackle. we could see trout all over the place on my sonar, they were hanging around 12-15 feet on average, some deeper, but we could not get them to hit anything.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-11-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

Good Deal!!! Just think..a little while ago you were ready to throw in the towel and get another motor.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Slot Fish

Default response to fishin10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
Good Deal!!! Just think..a little while ago you were ready to throw in the towel and get another motor.
if i do get a new 4 stroke ill keep this mariner as a back up, i really like the motor. in my opinion the 4 strokes are well over priced. i would like to try one but at their current pricing i am in no hurry.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

This may have been mentioned, but have you cleaned the intake ports for the water intake. Any engine I've had peed a steady stream of water whenever the muffs were on. Does this motor have a port where you can hook up your hose into the lower unit and clean the water system? My Mercury has one and a couple times of year I hook it up, turn on the water and start the engine. All sorts of lake and river scum runs out when I fire it up.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to baseline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
This may have been mentioned, but have you cleaned the intake ports for the water intake. Any engine I've had peed a steady stream of water whenever the muffs were on. Does this motor have a port where you can hook up your hose into the lower unit and clean the water system? My Mercury has one and a couple times of year I hook it up, turn on the water and start the engine. All sorts of lake and river scum runs out when I fire it up.
I sure wish I knew where that port was, no idea what you are talking about. that type of connection would be extremely visible I would think. I guess ill go get a light right now and take close up shots and maybe you can tell me what it is you are talking about, sounds very important.ok there are the pics, that black rectangular vent thing is where my water goes in as far as I know, that's where I put my muffs, when I put my muffs on those vents it doesn't squirt much water or even none, when that vent is even slighty under water I get water, eventually. but Ive never seen much water come out ever, even brand new, until I turn up the throttle.
I think it is normal for my engine http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...hermostat-help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	230674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	230682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	230690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	230698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	230706  

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-12-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

http://download.brunswick-marine.com...e/10254r80.pdf

This is the manual for my Mercury 115. Look at page 35 & 36. The flush port is located on the back of the lower unit right below the engine cover.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to baseline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
http://download.brunswick-marine.com...e/10254r80.pdf

This is the manual for my Mercury 115. Look at page 35 & 36. The flush port is located on the back of the lower unit right below the engine cover.
my motor doesn't seem to have that and all the videos I see are either using muffs or a tub of clean water, one guy actually put some soap in the tub of water, is this what you are referring to?

Tags
fishing , floatation , flooring , lund , repair