Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ezee Steps or Drotto? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2021, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ezee Steps or Drotto?

My 621 always slides back 2"s on the trailer when loading unless I leave the motor in gear so I'm climbing out over the bow to finish winching it tight. I've thought of a Drotto latch, but am still a bit leery. In researching trailer steps, I have the most confidence in Ezee steps. I like the 2 point mounting system and customer service appears to be exceptional.

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2021, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

I have both and find them very helpful. The Drotto probably more so. I would not feel comfortable leaving the boat while in gear.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

Steps all the way. I load the same way and it's easy to go down the steps, clip the hook and spin the crank if needed. Personally, I have no use for a Drotto but others seem to like them.

Your money, you could get both.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2021, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Drotto has eliminated the need for my steps... I have both but donít need to climb down anymore. Wish I would have added Drotto years ago
Humminbird Helix 12 and Helix 9(x2)
12' Talon
Old 03-23-2021, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

Are you loading alone? If so steps, a little cranking is no issue after safely getting out of the boat. If youíre loading with someone else in the truck then a drotto is amazing. They back in you drive on and away you go.

I welded a step on my trailers jack post, I can step off the boat onto that step then onto my folded down tailgate very easily and safely. I have a drotto but Iím alone 95% of the time so have to do it all myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeboom View Post
My 621 always slides back 2"s on the trailer when loading unless I leave the motor in gear so I'm climbing out over the bow to finish winching it tight. I've thought of a Drotto latch, but am still a bit leery. In researching trailer steps, I have the most confidence in Ezee steps. I like the 2 point mounting system and customer service appears to be exceptional.

Thoughts?
Having a 621 myself and with Drotto and steps I would prioritize the Drotto first and the steps a close second. I generally fish alone summer and winter so crawling up and down steps would not be good in the winter or spring and fall for that matter. Falling in the lake is not good option.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Please pardon the lengthy post. I purchased a Drotto for my Lowe boat/trailer. Installed it, but never got to use it, as I traded it in recently. The Drotto model I had for my Lowe will not work on my Trailstar trailer for my Tracker boat. The Trailstar comes with steps, which I find nice. I am still waiting for my new Drotto to arrive for my Trailstar/Tracker.

I fish alone a lot, so I prefer the Drotto over the steps. I will however, have both on this new rig. The less climbing around I have to do, the better off I am.

Just my 2 cents.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 03-23-2021, 01:10 PM
Keeper

Adding onto the Drotto pile. Works great fishing alone or easy loading on a busy ramp with a friend. I can pull in and click it and they can immediately pull away. The Drotto latch does also keep the boat from shifting much after it has been strapped in on the transom since it is in a fixed location.
I have an 1860 Angler and I had to buy the adjustable top roller separately that was made some time after I bought my Drotto. After installing that, I have zero issues.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:21 PM
Keeper

Drotto is probably great when you either have someone else driving the truck or you are loading up next to a dock. Where I fish there often aren't docs I can load up next to and I fish by myself. In both those instance ez-steps seem a way better choice. You can get in and out of the boat and mostly avoid getting wet. You can easily get on the trailer tongue to tighten up the wench and hook the safety chain.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:22 PM
Wallhanger

I would never have a trailer without steps, I am a older guy 73 and need to be careful, falling out of the boat on the ramp area is not good. Do not need a drotto with bunks, but thats me, usually get within a few inches or so and crank, Roller trailer I would have one, even though I had one and it did not work very well for me and broke, I blame it on operator error