Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Toro mowers ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Toro mowers ?

Looking to get a new lawnmower and wondering about Toro’s. Has anyone here had experience with the super recycler mower? What about the personal pace rear wheel drive feature? Better that the front wheel drive regular recycling toro mower?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Minnow

I've had good luck with Toro mowers. I've had two and each has lasted 20 yrs. Just had normal maintance. The super recycler is there top of the line home owner mower. The personal pace has been around sense 1999. I prefer that over the FWD models.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Keeper

We have a rear drive Toro Super recycler that we bought in 2014, Honda engine. Used mainly for trimming. We had a front drive Toro in the past, our preference is the rear drive. Coincidentally, a few weeks ago one of the back wheels came off the mower - the hub cracked out of the center of the wheel. Turned out the other one, while not broken, was also cracked. Both replaced under the 5 year warranty, of which two weeks remained. We like the personal pace feature real well - works fine.

It's been a pretty good mower, always starts easily, no troubles to speak of. Except the rear wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Toro mowers are great, no question but getting expensive. A few years ago I needed a new one. While at Menards I found their brand mower, Brute. I tried it. It is a really good mower. Starts first pull every time and cuts great.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

We have the Toro personal pace, been a good mower, but hard to push with out the drive helping.
Pulling the wheels and cleaning/lubing the gears helps but I'd probably not buy another one.

I have been told there's two versions, the menards/home depot version and their better built version, we have the cheaper box store one, not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Al
Old 05-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
Looking to get a new lawnmower and wondering about Toro’s. Has anyone here had experience with the super recycler mower? What about the personal pace rear wheel drive feature? Better that the front wheel drive regular recycling toro mower?
I went through this buying process two years ago when my old 2-stroke Lawn Boy finally died. My decision came down to a choice between one of the Super Recyclers and another brand.

My neighbor let me try his Super Recycler with the Personal Pace handle. I really liked it. At first I wasn't sure about adjusting to the need to push down a bit while walking forward, but any awkwardness disappeared after a few minutes as I became less aware and more relaxed with what I was doing. The system really compensates well for your walking speed and really seems to shine when you want to speed up or slow down momentarily for a thin or thick spot. It becomes automatic.

What ultimately made the decision for me was that - at least on the particular models I was considering - the engine was manufactured to Toro's specs but imported from China. I figured if I was spending $700+ on a mower I could probably find a US or Japanese alternative in the same class. As a distant secondary consideration, replacing the drive belt looked to be a difficult task on the Toro...but this may be moot if that belt lasts 20 years like the one on my Lawn Boy did.

Toro makes EXCELLENT products and has a great legacy of quality. Even if the engine is made in elsewhere I would have pretty good faith that they aren't supplying junk. Picking a different product was hard for me since there is a connection between Toro and Wheel Horse - my other hobby.

The Super Recycler line is a "lifetime" purchase. The Aluminum deck is a tough sucker, the wheels are nice and big, and the whole unit is really well screwed together.

Regardless of what you buy, you might consider purchasing from a local dealer rather than a Big Box or online retailer if supporting small businesses is something about which you care. Price should be the same.

Good luck,
Steve
Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Slot Fish

No doubt, Toro makes a good product.

As for drive setup, I prefer a rear drive lawnmower myself. I have come to find in the past, the front seems to lose traction (especially when bagging) compared to the rear.

As for the "personal pace" option, it's something you either like or you don't.....my parents have one they use to trim around the house, trees, etc. and I've tried it and personally can't stand it or get use to it. When it came time to upgrade my "really old Toro with a 3.5 hp Briggs" about 12 years ago (I believe I bought it 30 or so years ago when I was 12 with lawn mowing money to make more money)…..I opted for a Honda with a blade clutch and the thumb paddle to control the drive feature. Another solid option, but as mentioned by others.....solid options regardless of brand can get spendy. (I want to think mine at the time was around 600)

I will say the feature I prefer the most on my Honda is the blade clutch. It's nice to be able to mow jumping from section to section walking across sidewalks/driveways and not have the blade swinging and slinging gravel/sand/rocks....etc.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default Bobby W will be proud of this,,,,,,

Last year, I went old school and bought the wifey a new NON-self propelled Toro mower. It's much lighter and easier to maneuver around stuff without the driveline drag of self-propelled versions.

Looked at Honda's too, but the driveline drag trying to pull it back was ridiculous. And I probably tested a dozen of them in various dealerships.

HRG
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM
Wallhanger

Had a personal pace and didn't care for the way you had to push the handle down to engage. Part of that was when mowing on rough ground/side bank, the bouncing impacted engaging the drive. Grant it, it was a rough bank I was mowing. Also went through two drive assemblies and a pair of rear wheels. Father had a front wheel drive, I'd used at his house. When mowing around circle objects I'd slightly push down on the handle to turn it, which raised the front wheels a little loosing the abilty to pull vs. push from the rear. Each mower started and ran well as no motor issues. Just some things to think through as you make a purchase. I replaced with a Honda and have had no regrets.

Last edited by Shotgun; 05-08-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

I had a couple of used Toro PP's and while I didn't really mind them, I wasn't crazy about them. They didn't start as easily as I needed them to (probably just isolated to mine - not saying they're all like that) and I felt they were pretty heavy. My go to trim mower these days (last few years) is the Honda. First pull every time, durable, solid, etc. The rear wheel drive can be set to your personal pace, and "thumbed" to go slower or faster, and I like the double blade under it because we only mulch with it (super easy to pull off and sharpen, too). Lots of good trim mowers out there.

If you're set on a Toro, awesome. Go get one, and I'm sure you'll be happy. For the average homeowner, most of them out there will get the job done and last a long time if taken care of.

Can't go wrong with a Toro or Honda, though.

Good luck