Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Transom saver - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-25-2019, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Default Transom saver

So I’m buying a used 2016 Alumacraft competitor 175. It has a honda 150 and a kicker. What do I need for motor support for each motor while trailing? What type do you use? A wedge or the type that goes from motor to trailer? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

Always a good topic. Never a full resolution. Iím a wedge guy, but not sure if Iím any more right than the bar guys. Seems to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

I would "think" the kicker would not need to be trimmed up for clearance and if not it's better to not trim it up.

On the main outboard I wouldn't use a trailer supporting transom saver because the trailer will transfer every bump and pot hole jar right into the lower unit which could cause you major problems down the line.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I would "think" the kicker would not need to be trimmed up for clearance and if not it's better to not trim it up.

On the main outboard I wouldn't use a trailer supporting transom saver because the trailer will transfer every bump and pot hole jar right into the lower unit which could cause you major problems down the line.
I've been using the trailer mounted style for 45 years and never had any issues. My trailer has springs under it to absorb road shock. The load rides pretty darn smooth.

If one method was substantially better than the other, everyone would be using the same style.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, springs soften the ride and the sudden blows from a bump or pot hole but they don't eliminate them. Then taken into consideration the trailer also gets vertical jolts because it's not independent but hooked to a tow vehicle.

When I picked up my new boat in '15 I asked the owner of the marina who is a good friend of mine if I should consider the trailer supported transom saver and he said no quoting the above information.

Lucky for me the E-TEC comes with a built in tilt bracket similar to using the "Wedge".

But it's your boat..........YOU MAKE THE CALL . . .
Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then taken into consideration the trailer also gets vertical jolts because it's not independent but hooked to a tow vehicle.

When I picked up my new boat in '15 I asked the owner of the marina who is a good friend of mine if I should consider the trailer supported transom saver and he said no quoting the above information.
Maybe he is a marina owner because he is not a physics major? The trailer which we expect to support the boat hull, yet we don't want that same trailer directly supporting the engine?

Apparently all the thousands of boats owners using this style are just plain extremely lucky that as a group they have not all damaged their engines. Or maybe we just never hear all the horror stories of arriving at the lake with a broken lower unit due to the support rod coming from the trailer. I guess most folks would never say anything about that on an internet forum, when and if, it ever happened to them. It's not like anyone tocomplain about a little issue like that.

Like I said; If one method was substantially better than the other, everyone would be using the same style.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default Transom saver

A word of warning about the trailer mounted supports. The strap that held mind to the motor broke while I was on the highway. It bounced around and punched a hole in my lower unit (very expensive). So if you use this type, keep an eye out for wear.

So yes, there is at least one horror story.

Frank
Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
A word of warning about the trailer mounted supports. The strap that held mind to the motor broke while I was on the highway. It bounced around and punched a hole in my lower unit (very expensive). So if you use this type, keep an eye out for wear.

So yes, there is at least one horror story.

Frank
Sounds like the mishap was due to, as you imply, "wear", not road shock. This would be a failure to maintain your equipment. You are correct, no system is 100% foolproof.

Last edited by Huntindave; 05-25-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Every bump is getting transferred into the boat and engine one way or another. It's pure simple physics. It's just a matter of where that energy is sent to. I'd much rather have some of it travel through to an engine that has the ability to move up and down to absorb some of it instead of a rigid transom with no give. Plus, downward force is all going to the transom with a wedge. Distributed between the trailer and transom with a saver. My transom saver has rubber pads where the lower unit rests and the other end mounts into the trailer roller, so not much difference in the amount of rubber absorbing the shock between the two. Just boils down to where you want that energy sent. All transom or some to the engine also.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Maybe he is a marina owner because he is not a physics major? The trailer which we expect to support the boat hull, yet we don't want that same trailer directly supporting the engine?
You are right, he's not a physics major but Fran is/was the master mechanic of the family business for the last 50 years and now his son in-law Eric is doing most of the mechanical work. He could of made a few bucks by selling me a transom saver but gave me advice from his experience as he has seen problems arise in using a trailer supported transom saver.

I took his advice for many years and has never steered me wrong.......

BTW my old boat a '85 Grumman had a solid transom when I traded it in and I dragged that boat for 30 years all over US and Canada without a trailer supported transom saver.