Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jerky - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Jerky

We have a food dehydrator that we got as a gift and want to try to make jerky. What cuts of meat should we start with. Also what to use for seasoning. Any tips are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Search this forum for Jerky. There have been many conversations over the years here and lots of information for the reading.

I personally buy the good cuts of meat (roasts) and cut in about a quarter inch thick across the grain.

Most of the dry rubs and store bought seasonings are way to salty for my taste. So I use them sparingly.

Good jerky is hard to beat when working and get the munchies. Even better in the boat way north of Thunder Bay!

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 04-14-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling, again...
Old 04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Wallhanger

Try High Mountain jerky cure. Available on line or in stores. Easy to make. I use my dehydrator just for that purpose.
I've used venison roasts or steaks cut in chunks, like to stay to 1/4 to 5/16 thick all around, Pooch's suggestion is right on the mark if you want to use beef.

Last edited by bigwalleye1; 04-14-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Keeper

What we use is ground deer meat (tube gun) and use Nesco Jerky seasoning,its the easiest/best tasting and cheapest IMO!!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Keeper

Nothing like making your own jerky! I use the cure from Bass Pro(can't remember the name its probably the High Mountain brand as suggested). Just remember to watch how long you heat/dehydrate it. If you leave it in too long or at too high of a temp. it will get too dried out and be terrible. I also highly recommend using a cure. I use London Broil when I see it on sale. Some people say you can freeze it but I have never had it around long enough to try it.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Keeper

Default Jerky

I don't use a dehydrator but I can't see why it would be much different. I use the ground venison and some Shore Lunch brand jerky cure. Squirt it on parchment paper in the oven at 200 F for like 2 hours.

Then after that I leave it in the fridge with the top of the bag open. The it sits the better I like it. Dries out almost like the gas station ground jerky.

Reminds me, I have some ground venison I need to turn into Jerky for fishing opener. YUM!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Minnow

There is a cut of meat the you will probably have to order depending on the size of your city. It is called lifter meat or blade meat. I'm not really sure where it comes from on the cow. It comes in pieces that are about 10" or so long in pieces that are easy to work with. I also use many types of seasoning, High Mountain is very good but as others said use sparingly. I have a lot of experience smoking jerky, I smoke 75 to 100 lbs at a time. The largest beef jerky co. in Michigan uses this lifter meat and it was a tip from my meat wholesaler to me because I buy so much meat from him. I will answer all questions specifically if you ask. Just got done processing 400 lbs of sausage. I'm not vain, but pretty good at smoking.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Minnow

Hey builder, do you do your jerky in the smoker, and if so at what temp and for how long?

H
Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Minnow

I use 150 for a couple of hours then back it down to 120 for around 12 hours. It really depends on how many pounds I have in. If I'm doing 100 lbs. then it takes at least 12 hours. 10 lbs or so I can do it in 8. I let the jerky tell me when it's done. I don't like it dried to the point where it starts to get kinda light colored or leathery looking. I'm looking for a nice glazed look that looks moist and is dark in color not red. I hope that helps, it is a small learning curve, usually just a few batches and you'll know what you like. In my case what everyone else likes and good for me cause I like it too.