Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fish tasting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Deep fried

Default Fish tasting

Considering some tough times ahead regarding a spike in food prices, I was wondering if any old-timers on here have tried Carp or Sheephead? Just thinking there's no limit on these things and a man could stock up his freezer for the winter. Out here I've seen old timers fighting over burbot, now that's one ugly fish but there must be a reason why they were fighting over it.

Just thinking something has to be better tasting than this freezer burnt talapia my wife just cooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Never tried it myself but have heard from several different people that smoked sheephead is delicious .
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Wallhanger

Unless your really hunger I'd leave the carp in the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Deep fried

Default Carp

Why leave the carp in the water, 10 fish and you could get close too a 100lbs of meat probably. Do you think there harmful to eat? Don't tell me nobody has tried to fry, bake, deep fry one of these things.

Might be a good experiment for a neighbor fish fry, my walleye club pulled that off once, said it was a walleye fry, looked at the package thrown in the garbage and it said Costco Atlantic Cod. Guess walleye was to expensive.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Wallhanger

I've heard carp is really good, but that you basically have to cube them up then the bones dissolve while deep frying. If you want to stock your freezer, why not go after white bass? Where I fish, you can keep 25 a day and you can hardly tell the difference between white bass and walleye as long as you cut all the red meat off. Heard Bighead carp is really good too, never tried it yet though but they sure do have alot of meat on them. It's really all in how you cook them.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Wallhanger

I'd rather eat a smoked carp out of cold water than smoked laketrout anyday...Try it you will be surprised
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Pressure cooked and canned carp makes some of the best tasting salmon patties you ever had!!

Did some construction work up in Illinois a few years back in a little town right on the Illinois River. One of the local bars did a lunch buffet and served fried carp sandwiches that were excellent! Hardest part is cleaning them slimy, tough skinned, hard scaled buggers, but once ya git past that it all downhill!!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Smoked anything is not all that bad. There are tricks by species & size but overall
general smoking instructions will be fine.

Wood also makes it interesting. Need alot to kill some of the fish taste but just the hint of apple
or whatever goes a long way.

The bit on white bass is totally on. Especially in the spring they seem to be firmer but
not alot of taste difference.

I would draw the line on gar tho!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Keeper

An old river rat I know would smoke or fry any buffalo he caught. I never tried it. I have had pickled carp before, if it was on a menu I wouldn't order it....(it wasn't bad tasting)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Minnow

Fried carp is good eating, they are a bit of a job to clean, though. They have a lot of bones in the meat so you have to score it to get the bones to hopefully fry up. Works better on smaller one's. Joe Tess' Place in Omaha, NE serves excellent fried carp, I eat it there once in a while. Here is a pretty good video on how to clean and score a carp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70a1Ks6HFo

H