Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2007 Tundra leak? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Minnow

Question 2007 Tundra leak?

Hi, new to the site hope Im in the right spot for this! I have a 2007 Tracker Tundra that seems to take in water from somewhere. I have had to pump water out when I didnt use the livewell even. Not sure where to start. The funny thing is it isnt all the time so Im thinking not a hull leak. Any suggestions will be helpful. I have the winter to tinker in the barn with it. Thanks

John Drueke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Minnow

If your boat is in cold storage in the winter (like mine) your live well pump may have had water in it which froze and cracked the pump. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Still took on water when live well was not in use. I replaced the pump and now recirculate RV anti freeze through my live well before putting in winter storage.

H
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Minnow

Well my barn is heated but I bought the boat used. Have had this problem from the go.. I will check this out as a start. Thanks alot!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Meterman,
1. Check every single item that is related to the livewell.
2. Fill hoses,
3. Drain hoses,
4. Pumps,
5 Inlet fittings,
6 Outlet fittings

A very very common thing to have happen with a livewell system is that water gets into the system over the cold season, freezes and then expands.
When the water expands, anything that is housing the water swells and cracks and or breaks.

To check, you need to basically plug one end of every line, and either pull a vacuum on the line or put slight pressure on the line and see if it holds.
The other thing that you can do, is to use low pressure - no more than about 5 lbs pressure, and inject water into the fill port on the livewell. The low pressure will pump water through the livewell pump and through the fill lines on the livewell system. As you do this, monitor the bilge, and the livewell to insure that there is no water that gets into the bilge.

If there is a split in a hose, a crack in a pump housing or a fitting, you will likely see water begin to accumulate in the bilge. If you do, then, see water begin to accumulate - you then need to sort out the source of the leak. Normally - again keeping low pressure water flowing into the livewell fill hole, check out every section of hose, fitting, livewell and livewell fitting to locate the leak.

-------------
You may also have the other issue where you have an issue with the livewell itself having a crack. i.e. if - after checking out the fill side of the livewell and if you don't find any issues, then fill the livewell with the drain plugged, and see if any water flows or seeps into the bilge. If so, you then have a crack in the livewell or a bad seal on the livewell drain.

Trace it out and either find the livewell crack, or repair the seal on the livewell drain.

Finally, if you don't find any issues with the livewell fill, or the livewell itself, then, pull the drain on the livewell, with the outlet on the outside of the boat plugged. i.e you want water to fill the drain hoses and fittings. While doing this, check for signs of moisture in the bilge. If there is water getting into the bilge now: Then, you have issues with the livewell drain or fittings.

-------------------------
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Also,
Check out this link:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums.../t-196752.html

You need to check very carefully for any sign of corrosion on your boat's hull.

Tracker no longer makes this hull in the stretched aluminum.
Since everyone really liked the boat with respect to ride and dryness, one might believe that the hull was pulled from production due to a durability issue.

All that I can suggest, is that in addition to the livewell checks do a very very careful check on the underside of the boat for signs of paint blistering which would point to corrosion.

Also, if you find that the livewell has a clean bill of health, with the drain plug in the boat, begin to fill the hull of the boat with water with a garden hose. Keep the boat level so that the water is distributed equally. The trailer and tires should be able to handle the extra water load - as long as you don't fill the boat with water above the floor of the boat.

As you do this, look for any water that might be coming out of the boat.
If you do find water coming out of the boat - any where except the drain plug, you have a hull leak that needs to be addressed.

Again, check out the link above to see the typical action.

Good luck
REW
Old 12-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Check your motor splashwell. I have openings for the fuel fill, an access plate and battery wires. They aren't caulked, and they will leak when water surges in. Normally it's maybe a pint at max. While docked in Canada, and waves breaking, the auto bilge came on. Turned the boat around so the bow faced the open water. Sure, I could caulk everything up, but if you have ever seen the mess I can make while trying to caulk something, you'll know why I don't. LOL!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Thanks guys for the suggestions. This is very helpful to me. Its hard to bring your boat in without it costing $$$$$$$$ with an unknown issue. I havent looked at the back deck but should I consider removing it for access to expose all the hoses and such below? Or is that a major project? Thanks again!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Slot Fish

Huh...Imagine that? What a shocker......a tracker that leaks. No surprise to hear that. Other then being priced cheap to sell, and not about quality craftsmanship, i still am amazed of how many people still buy these boats. After having read soooo many negative posts on trackers, one would think to stay away from them. If the first word of the boat company is "Bass" that should be a clear sign to make you steer away from getting a boat that you intend to use for walleye fishing.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Wallhanger

Last resort is to put the plug in the boat and fill it up with water. It took about 10 minutes for the water to flow out but we were able to identify a leaky rivet. Simple enough fix....drill out rivet and pop a new one in...when you find it! Of course any fitting...seam....hose can be the source of your troubles.

m

Last edited by Marty59; 12-01-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Minnow

Guess I should look into something made in China. MADE IN USA I'm sticking with it!! Thanks for the input.