Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Backing up your trailer at the boat ramp - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Keeper

Default Backup assist a lot easier to use than a digital VCR.

Purchased a 2017 F-150 with the backup assist in October of 2017. Read the instruction manual, watched some YouTube videos and thought I can do that and I did. Went out to a vacant parking lot on a sunny afternoon in late October and practiced. Got pretty good with it but never really comfortable. Never used it for almost the next 2 years. Don't think I even turned it on. Dang it, you've got a 4,500 lb. truck that cost you an arm and a leg and a 3,000 lb. boat and you're driving it with a knob and a tv screen with no hands on the wheel. Just not right. For some reason decided to use it last month while launching my boat. Worked great. Used it again to retrieve my boat. Again. Worked great. Key to making it work is pucker up, grit your teeth, go very "slow", use the screen and check the mirrors every few seconds too. I'll use it from now on. An old dog can use YouTube and learn new tricks. For my next one I'm gonna get my hand axe out and program that VCR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 12:36 AM
Minnow

Default Just ask someone to go down

I even trust my fam more to go down and quickly check the back compared to my sensors when backing.