Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Suzuki outboard jackplate/min. water pressure - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Suzuki outboard jackplate/min. water pressure

Does this linked question correlate with any of you who have a jackplate on a Suzuki? Poster in this linked said Suzuki cooling works on volume vs pressure like Yamaha does?? 3-4 psi is a good pressure for a Suzuki vs what I remember Yamaha was 10psi minimum? I am looking for a minimum pressure for a Suzuki that's highly jacked. Sending another prop into DAH.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/s...numbers.43274/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Apple,
Since I assume that you have a water pressure gauge on your rig, how much pressure do you run when running mid throttle with the prop well buried.

My thought would be that what ever the pressure is when the motor is well buried and running at 1/2-full throttle should be the same as when the motor is highly jacked.

If you jack the motor and lose pressure, then it would seem to me that you are limiting the amount of cooling water getting to the engine.

Is the above a reasonable assumption?

============================
Here is a link to a mercury motor.

https://paadid.ee/images/uploads/doc...2%B417_ENG.pdf

If you note on page 17 of the manual, it indicates that the motor will develop 1.3 psi of water pressure at idle and 8.5 psi - running wide open.

I would see no reason why the motor would then expect to see any water pressure less than 6.5 psi no matter the height of the engine.
Most folks who jack their motors high, also install low water pickups on their motors to maintain water pressure.

Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

No pressure gauge yet. I just installed the 3 inch manual jackplate a couple of weeks ago. I did not like how low my Suzuki 40 was on the transom. The 2018 Alumacraft 145 Escape SC has too short of a transom. It should be a 21 or for me a 22 inch transom for a correctly setup motor/prop setup. The Suzuki motor plate would not let me get the motor to the highest point, only the second to the highest. If you try to put it to the highest the lower bolt goes right into the lower motor slot. To make it work you would have to cut the slot open at the bottom.

I first thought the transom was drilled wrong, but when I installed the jack plate it was dead on drilled. The Suzuki mount was cast wrong. I am running a 4 blade PowerTech SS prop, and plan on sending it to DAH this winter. As it sits now, It is raise the motor 5 inches above were it was mounted before the jackplate.( remember water rises with setback) It changed the personality of the boat for the better. Even my wife noticed it an take waves better

As with my Yar-Craft, the DAH prepped prop brings a new more "sportive" personality to the boat. I am not going add a low pickup point for a boat like this, but I want and I think I can raise it another inch since with the DAH as it can run half surfaced if needed.

I was not looking for more speed, just hated that the lower unit was so low, I might as well of bolted a 4x4 4 ft below the transom. That's what it felt like. I bought the boat used with 5 hrs on it, so I bought what I bought. It had to have a Suzuki or a Yamaha or I would not buy the boat. I almost bet I could of mounted a short shaft on that boat and have it run where I want it with a DAH trick prop. That's just how I roll. You should know that by now.

Last edited by Apple Guy; 09-30-2019 at 03:26 PM.