Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Downsize To Ford Ranger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Minnow

Default Downsize To Ford Ranger

I’m thinking about downsizing my F150 2.7 eco boost to a Ford Ranger with a tow package. The max towing isn’t much less with the Ranger, I am wondering if I will regret going to a mid size truck. Also, would backing up be easier with the Ranger since it has a smaller wheel base?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

What are you towing?

HRG
Old 10-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Minnow

Alumacraft Trophy 175, single axle but we’ve talked about upgrading to a 20’ glass boat.

Ranger is 7,500lbs and my F150 is 7,600lbs max conventional towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 11:11 PM
Slot Fish

Whatís the reason to downsize?

There doesnít seem to be much difference in MPG or price between an F150 and a Ranger. The only reason I would downsize is if I needed the garage space or was parking in a parking garage downtown.

Despite similar tow ratings, the extra size weight and wheelbase will make the F150 a better tow vehicle, especially if you get a bigger boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
Whatís the reason to downsize?

Well I want to go from supercab to supercrew as our family expands which drives the need for a new truck. Also, I no longer need the 6.5' bed and I work in the Twin Cities where parking can be a pain.

At local dealers, looking at both trucks in the Lariat packages, there seems to be a 6-7K price difference.

The only real hold up is that I tow my boat 2 days a week and am cautious the towing performance will suffer noticeably.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo View Post
Iím thinking about downsizing my F150 2.7 eco boost to a Ford Ranger with a tow package. The max towing isnít much less with the Ranger, I am wondering if I will regret going to a mid size truck. Also, would backing up be easier with the Ranger since it has a smaller wheel base?

Thanks!
With the Ranger being smaller the only advantage of backing up would be you would need less room at the front end of your now smaller truck........so if someone parked on the other side of the street right across from your driveway it will be easier to swing the front end of the truck without hitting that parked vehicle.

Now other then what I posted above, the ease or difficulty to backing up your boat trailer or any trailer is really determined by the distance of your tow ball to the axle of the trailer.........and believe it or not the longer that distance is the easier it is to back up........so a 30' travel trailer is actually easier to back up into a space then a small utility trailer. The smaller trailer reacts REAL FAST to any movement of your steering wheel where the 30' travel trailer reacts MUCH slower because of the distance of it's axle to the tow ball and you have time to make corrects as you back up........the utility trailer would already be jack knifed.

Other then the info above I don't see you gaining or losing by down grading to a mid size truck.......basically if the power is there under the hood and the braking power is there too you will not notice any difference with the Ranger vs F 150
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Slot Fish

Itís not just about power and braking. Itís also about towing stability. And a bigger truck is more stable.

That said, if you arenít near the max rating, you are likely ok.

I have a Reata 1750. It tows fine being my 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. And itís easier to back my boat up with the GC than it is my 3500.

Youíre going to have a lot more room in the cab of the F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Keeper

Sounds like you've already convinced yourself that you need to downsize. Likely the most important feature of a bigger truck is bigger brakes and the ability to stop your towed vehicle safer.
If you want a smaller truck, then go for it, I drive a F-350 and would never step down. My wife even parallel parks it. Bigger is safer.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo View Post
Well I want to go from supercab to supercrew as our family expands which drives the need for a new truck. Also, I no longer need the 6.5' bed and I work in the Twin Cities where parking can be a pain.

At local dealers, looking at both trucks in the Lariat packages, there seems to be a 6-7K price difference.

The only real hold up is that I tow my boat 2 days a week and am cautious the towing performance will suffer noticeably.
Take some time to research legroom between the SCab F-150 and the SCrew Ranger, there's next to no difference.

HRG
Old 10-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Slot Fish

Considered an SUV? I've pulled my 18' Lund with my wife's Yukon and it handles great, very stable. Its also pretty easy to get around and park in the city. Much more room for kids as well. I'm in the bigger is safer camp as well, especially towing. Being pushed around by a load is no fun.