Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fleet Farm - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default Fleet Farm

Greetings,

I live near the Fleet Farm store in Appleton, WI. I have shopped at this store several times each week for decades. It's always been the first store that I think of when I need/want to buy something.

But, that is starting to change. There have been four instances in the last two weeks that I started shopping at Fleet Farm, but finished my shopping at Home Depot as Fleet Farm was out of the items that I wanted to purchase. As I thought about it, this has been going on since at least last summer. The "out of stocks" are widely distributed throughout the store, rather than being confined to individual departments.

One friend that works at Fleet Farm told me that many customers are commenting about the out-of-stocks. This friend told me that the problem is caused by an on-going restructuring. Another employee told me that there are multiple problems causing the out of stocks.

Have you noticed similar things in your local Fleet Farm? I'm wondering if the issues are confined to the store in Appleton or are more wide-spread.

I'm thinking that it's nearing time to start shopping elsewhere.

Kindest regards....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
I'm wondering if the issues are confined to the store in Appleton or are more wide-spread.
I see this in many stores. Stocking more items than will be sold drives up the cost for everyone. In a perfect world X number of items would be ordered, arrive on time and be sold in a timely manner. When this doesn't happen profit margins drop and costs go up. It is all a balancing act and the folks which say many reasons are behind "out of stock" occurrences, are correct.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Slot Fish

I have not noticed this in the Fleet Farms in Lakeville and Carver MN. They seem to have tons of stock on the shelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

They have been building some pretty large stores lately (DeForest, Delevan WI, Carver MN), maybe they are still working out stock levels in the distribution centers?

HRG
Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Default Yep

The new Sioux Falls SD store has allot of "out of stock" shelves
NPAA #950
Fish On!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Have been to the store in Ankeney, Iowa, several times, seems to be well stocked. Am anxiously awaiting the new store to open in Cedar Rapids.

Bill
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Have been to the store in Ankeney, Iowa, several times, seems to be well stocked. Am anxiously awaiting the new store to open in Cedar Rapids.

Bill
I think that Ankeny store is probably the biggest FF I've been in. It dwarfs several in WI.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM
Slot Fish

I would have to agree, our Wausau store has been lacking lately. I wouldn't necessarily say it's "out of stocks" though, it seems to be more what they are making available is less than it used to be. Go in there expecting to grab something quick and they don't even have a peg for it. Just not like it used to be.

Previous owner of:
2005 Ranger Reata 180 - Mercury 150 XR6
2001 Tracker Targa 2000 - Mariner 200 Magnum
Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM
mk cant log in

I think its just a sign of things to come.

I'd bet if you went on FF website, you'll probably find what you want.

The inventory required for a brick and mortar store is very expensive making it difficult to compete with online sales, especially in the smaller, lower traffic stores.

OTOH, reducing inventory is often one of the steps to make the balance sheets look good to a potential buyer. Maybe they're looking to merge or get bought out to survive? Cabelas/Bass Pro comes to mind.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Minnow

Our store in Plymouth WI is getting that way. I go in to shop and maybe get 80% of what I need and have to go elsewhere to get the remaining 20%. Also have had the problem that I need multiple's of something that is very common product and they always seem to have a few less than what I need on the shelf almost every time I shop there.