Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2020 MK Ulterra Steering Housing - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 09-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
My luck has been similar to Bob's. I have run an Ulterra for a while now. I had one of the first ones off the production line when they started building them. I fish about 60-70 days a year. Some days are 4-5 hours and some 7-9 hours. I have not had a single failure with mine. I do not abuse it, but it does get used hard. I will say that I did have the shaft switched out to a 72" version a couple years ago. As far as I know there was nothing else done to the motor.

This T/M is used on a 2025 Pro-V. I needed to switch to the longer shaft because the 60" version surfaced way too often in rough water. The 72" version will still surface, but only in honest 3'-3 1/2' waves.

Good luck with yours!
That's incredible luck!! My luck keeps getting better. When the housing was changed, I went to test it. Now my sonar wasn't working. Take it off AGAIN and take it to service. The tech didn't tighten the cable connections that are screwed together under the top cover. He tightens it, says he's sorry and I'm good with that, **** happens. I go out and test it, this time 60 miles from home.......thought it would work, silly me. It didn't. My theory is that when it was not tightened it probably arced and burned something out. They don't replace just the ducer which is side imaging. They replace the motor, and the shaft and who knows what else. Anyway, if I would have to pay for this, it would be $1000. Part is on order, I will be taking the tm off yet again and taking it to service. I know it won't be the last time I do this..... Still have another 6-8 weeks of fishing in ND yet at least. Will it last that long before the next issue is the question... At 64 years old I get a little disgruntled with it all. I thought I bought good stuff. If I keep doing this I'm thinking somehow I'm gonna hurt myself. Oh well, this too shall pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting, I have the same boat! 60" for mine but it does not get rough often here. Also if its rough I seldom go out. Retired and can be choosy. Bob
VetLeap, I think I would try a different ASC! All of what you are saying is not the way it should be. Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 09-11-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Interesting, I have the same boat! 60" for mine but it does not get rough often here. Also if its rough I seldom go out. Retired and can be choosy. Bob
VetLeap, I think I would try a different ASC! All of what you are saying is not the way it should be. Bob
I think you're right..
Old 09-12-2020, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
It does not mean that this ASC isn't trying, but I too am wondering if taking it to another ASC (if you have one available) might be a smart choice. I can't speak for everyone, but mine has been very good! Based on your experience, I too would be frustrated.

Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
It does not mean that this ASC isn't trying, but I too am wondering if taking it to another ASC (if you have one available) might be a smart choice. I can't speak for everyone, but mine has been very good! Based on your experience, I too would be frustrated.

Good Luck!
This is just 1 incident where there was a mistake by the tech but it adds to the frustration of which most has just been that I can't keep my 2 ulterras that I've owned out of the shop. I guess because of his mistake I'm sitting here instead of fishing and it's 2 additional trips to the repair shop. I try to take care of my stuff. When I deploy I pause it half way down and turn to the forward position as I know it's harder for it to turn when you're still moving 2 mph. I've seen the the plastic/nylon gears in the housing now which makes me even more aware of possible causes of breakdowns. One more example is that I had a cover out of foam rubber for the side imaging ducer to protect it from whatever.. That's even more relevant now that I know that's a $1000 fix. My next tm may be an ultrex....idk..
Old 09-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Wallhanger

I got my motor back and sonar is now working again. Just don't understand how when you look at the side imaging ducer it would certainly appear to be replaceable with screws around the perimeter. However, they replace the motor and the shaft when the ducer goes bad. And..... the tech told me the motor wasn't going to last long as when he turned the prop it was not smooth and "may" have gotten water in it... All this on a motor I bought in April. Goodness.