Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury Platinum upgrade - worth it? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Ranger2637

Default Platinum warranty

I think the ( the factory making money) is a valid observation since
Verado's attain 2,000 hours without much major maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default warrenty

I bought it for my 175proxs. under cowl oil tank started to leak, took in to dealer thinking no problem. not covered, if it is not name specifically in policy it is not covered, dealer was surprised when they denied the claim. so yeah maybe worth it, but don't be surprised it is not same as factory new warranty , has holes in it....
Old 08-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mercury Platinum upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
When I had a Merc, I upgraded. Chances are if anything is going to fail it would be fuel or electronic related. And that my friend will cost you plenty! Probably cost you $225 to even have someone diagnose a problem. No brainer for me.
I felt as several of you stated, that for the much better coverage its worth couple hundred dollars. I just called my dealer and the price was just a little over $200 for the upgrade. I also feel it will help with resale if I end up wanting a new outfit in 3 to 4 years. I am older but if my quality of life is at least 85% of what it is today, then I will buy one more new boat at age 80 or 81.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2020, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

You can shop dealers for the upgraded warranty some are much cheaper then others as the dealers make money on the warranty.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1850 View Post
I felt as several of you stated, that for the much better coverage its worth couple hundred dollars. I just called my dealer and the price was just a little over $200 for the upgrade. I also feel it will help with resale if I end up wanting a new outfit in 3 to 4 years. I am older but if my quality of life is at least 85% of what it is today, then I will buy one more new boat at age 80 or 81.
Sound cheap, I got the same letter on a 300 Pro and the cost was like $6800.00 for extended platinum.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I look at it from the insurance guy's view. Dang near everything I buy these days has an extended warranty option. 2 weeks ago it was a $99 trolling rod from Cabela's, yesterday I bought a 40" flat TV from Costco....do you want to buy an extended warranty is the question at checkout. I also got the Platinum warranty letter for my 2019 25 hp Mercury for my other boat. It's not cheap. Martin has a great point, if you can afford to cover it, it's one thing. If you took all your money spent on extended warranty's and put it in a separate account then paid any claims out of that account you'd have money in the bank when you die. On the other hand I never tell people how to spend their money, if it makes you feel good and more secure, go for it. I have lots of "more than you needed to spend" equipment in my boat!
Old 08-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
I look at it from the insurance guy's view. Dang near everything I buy these days has an extended warranty option. 2 weeks ago it was a $99 trolling rod from Cabela's, yesterday I bought a 40" flat TV from Costco....do you want to buy an extended warranty is the question at checkout. I also got the Platinum warranty letter for my 2019 25 hp Mercury for my other boat. It's not cheap. Martin has a great point, if you can afford to cover it, it's one thing. If you took all your money spent on extended warranty's and put it in a separate account then paid any claims out of that account you'd have money in the bank when you die. On the other hand I never tell people how to spend their money, if it makes you feel good and more secure, go for it. I have lots of "more than you needed to spend" equipment in my boat!
Its horrible that most products made today try to extract extra money out of you with an extended warranty. Seems they are either double dipping or telling you up front not to buy the product because they have little faith in it's ability not to fail. I laugh when I buy a TV or computer and they try to sell me the warranty. Unless its crap by the time it fails post warranty it's already a throw away most of the time because its outdated. They play on the people that like the exact thing the had and were not comfortable in something new. Great suggestion on money in the bank, I am gonna buy apple and other stocks with it, hopefully they sell plenty of extra warranty to others and my stock skyrockets.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

I never buy any extended coverage on anything, the insurance companies sell it because its VERY profitable...I'm tens of thousands ahead...I can cover the fixes if they come up. In 30 years of big outboards I've spent maybe $2500 on a new power loop on a 175 Intruder once when the motor was 10 years old...
Old 08-31-2020, 09:09 AM
Keeper

I had Platinum coverage on my last boat that had a 250 Pro Verado. They did $29200 (Canadian) in warranty work on it in the last 16 months of the warranty. 2 claims, one literally in the last week of coverage. Only thing I had to pay for was the oil change that wasn't covered. Well worth it... In my case.

Last edited by zalman; 08-31-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalman View Post
I had Platinum coverage on my last boat that had a 250 Pro Verado. They did $29200 (Canadian) in warranty work on it in the last 16 months of the warranty. 2 claims, one literally in the last week of coverage. Only thing I had to pay for was the oil change that wasn't covered. Well worth it... In my case.
Is that maybe a typo........$29,200.00 of repairs to your Merc outboard......doesn't sound possible even in Canadian funds.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra