Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
garmin livescope in action - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Keeper

Default garmin livescope in action

I tried to up my game with this video. got some footage with my drone catching some fish and took close up shots of the garmin livescope in action. enjoy....

https://youtu.be/rXGt2EevrG4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Not to be rude, dude, but did you actually keet those baitfish in your livewell to clean and eat later, or to go for bigger gamefish after you catch enough bait?

OMG mon, seriously, anything that size WOULD be considered bait here and immediately threaded with a 3/0 hook for muskie or northern.
Then again 13"-15" crappie aren't exactly in short supply in the Madison lakes and 17" crappie are fairly common down on Kegonsa (the 4th lake in the chain).

Anonymouse has caught hammer-handle 14" northern (on a shiner) that had the tail of something the size of those crappies already sticking out of its gullet.
Voracious buggers, the northern are around here.

Gunna have to do more than fish with a livescope to up THAT "game".

VERY nice of you to share though.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-17-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:07 PM
Keeper

Default no worries

They were 10 to 11 which are eater size around here. Don't get the tanks in the smaller lakes like you are describing. I also don't make fish look big....

Thanks for checking it out. I'm trying to learn the in's and out's of filming and it keeps me entertained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM
Keeper

Very well done Thordogg... I also recently purchased a Garmin livescope and am using the transducer pole from Fishing Specialties. Livescope has added another dimension to my fishing and I have just scratched the surface of the possibilities. Thanks for sharing and those crappies looked good to me...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:02 PM
Wallhanger

Nice video, and nothing wrong with 10-11" crappie, great eaters.
Thanks for posting video
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post

Not to be rude, dude, but did you actually keet those baitfish in your livewell to clean and eat later, or to go for bigger gamefish after you catch enough bait?

OMG mon, seriously, anything that size WOULD be considered bait here and immediately threaded with a 3/0 hook for muskie or northern.
Then again 13"-15" crappie aren't exactly in short supply in the Madison lakes and 17" crappie are fairly common down on Kegonsa (the 4th lake in the chain).

Anonymouse has caught hammer-handle 14" northern (on a shiner) that had the tail of something the size of those crappies already sticking out of its gullet.
Voracious buggers, the northern are around here.

Gunna have to do more than fish with a livescope to up THAT "game".

VERY nice of you to share though.
There are absolutely no thriving numbers of 17" crappie in Kegonsa. I actually doubt if one was ever caught there in fact. Before you start making those statements I want to see pictures of a fish cleaning table full of those 17 inchers. I fished Kegonsa in its heyday, mid 70s to mid 80s, caught baskets of fish but not in that size. And now Kegonsa is a shadow of its former self.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-18-2020, 02:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
There are absolutely no thriving numbers of 17" crappie in Kegonsa. I actually doubt if one was ever caught there in fact. Before you start making those statements I want to see pictures of a fish cleaning table full of those 17 inchers. I fished Kegonsa in its heyday, mid 70s to mid 80s, caught baskets of fish but not in that size. And now Kegonsa is a shadow of its former self.
That anecdote was from a number of years ago, true enough.
A guy showed up on Mendota with a 5 gallon bucket of 17"-19" crappies and said he just caught them in Kegonsa.
Anonymouse saw them with his own eyeballs - the fella even measured one of the biggest ones right in front of Anonymouse.
Whether or not the guy was telling the truth about having caught them in Kegonsa?
Can't say, but what reason would he have to lie about it?
17" isn't THAT much bigger than some of the better 13"-15" crappies that come out of Mendota but they probably grow slower the bigger they get so the fish were likely older than Mendota crappies would be at nearly that size.

Personally, Anonymouse doesn't fish Kegonsa, so....take it for what it was, a 1st hand account of something seen & told to Anonymouse directly, not a 3rd hand "hand-me-down" tale of "a fish-y story".
Jeepers, has it really been a decade since Anonymouse last went bucket-squatting?
Yeah, guess it has been that long.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-18-2020 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
That anecdote was from a number of years ago, true enough.
A guy showed up on Mendota with a 5 gallon bucket of 17"-19" crappies and said he just caught them in Kegonsa.
Anonymouse saw them with his own eyeballs - the fella even measured one of the biggest ones right in front of Anonymouse.
Whether or not the guy was telling the truth about having caught them in Kegonsa?
Can't say, but what reason would he have to lie about it?
17" isn't THAT much bigger than some of the better 13"-15" crappies that come out of Mendota but they probably grow slower the bigger they get so the fish were likely older than Mendota crappies would be at nearly that size.

Personally, Anonymouse doesn't fish Kegonsa, so....take it for what it was, a 1st hand account of something seen & told to Anonymouse directly, not a 3rd hand "hand-me-down" tale of "a fish-y story".
Jeepers, has it really been a decade since Anonymouse last went bucket-squatting?
Yeah, guess it has been that long.
Okay just stop
The Wisconson state record for white crappie is 16.5 inches, for black crappie its 19.75. Those fish weighed 3lb 13 oz and 4 lb 8 oz respectively. Yet you personally seen a bucket full of state records coming out of Kegonsa no less. Really stop insulting us with these stories. Your ruler is flipped over and you're on the metric side bud.
Now I usually don't make it a habit to call people out on some stretching of a fish claim story, after all it is a fish story, but these claims are so outlandish and the fact you insulted the OP's video of some really nice crappies well I have to call total bs.

Anyway not to derail the thread, once again thanks for the beautiful video of some nice crappie action Thordogg.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 09-18-2020, 03:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordogg View Post
They were 10 to 11 which are eater size around here. Don't get the tanks in the smaller lakes like you are describing. I also don't make fish look big....

Thanks for checking it out. I'm trying to learn the in's and out's of filming and it keeps me entertained.
Then a few comments about the filming perhaps, if you don't mind a little constructive criticism?
Bear in mind, this is what Anonymouse SEES on the video, not necessarily what you see live and in person.

1.) Anonymous is using a HD 27" AOC LED monitor with his computer. It has pretty good resolution and detail, yet you pointing to your jig that was completely invisible on this monitor indicates you needed to cut down on glare and reflection so it WILL be visible.
Truthfully, couldn't see the crappies you were pointing out on the screen at 3:30-ish either.
The jig was barely discernible somewhat, at around 4:40 on the YouTube clock, on the far left of the screen.

2.) Been taking 35mm photos for close to 40 years or more now (thousands of negatives boxed up from about 30-40 rolls of film per year), digital photos for about 10 years, and filming digital video for about 7 or 8 years.
One thingy is clear, if those crappies were actually 10"-11", you need to either learn about perspective in video shooting or get out a ruler and actually measure them to show their true size.
Guesstimating from the size of an average man's hand (4' wide x 9" spread) those puppies looked no bigger than 8" long and looked awfully slim for even a 6" crappie.

The "big ol' crappie" at 5:30 looked to be about 6" long, again based on an average man's hand.
Swear to JeBuS,"nice one" looked to be no more than 5" & definitely a throw-back, based on a lack of any discernible filet meat - unless you gut & scale them and fry 'em up whole.
You aren't related to Donald Trump and his hand size, are you, by any chance?

(Kinda curious why you prefer to keep crappie over 'gills, taste-wise.)

"Nice one" at 6:30 is barely as long as your palm is wide, + a tail. That's 4" + tail or close to 5.5", unless your palms are ginormous.

3.) Now, that Walleye looked to be around 11"-12", based on hand size, but more like 14"-15" based on screen real estate when you put it close to the control head unit.
The tail angling toward the camera foreshortens that portion of the overall length.
See what Anonymouse means by accounting for "perspective"?

Going on bulk/thickness, Anonymouse would swear on a stack of nightcrawler flats that that fish was barely 4 or 5 ounces, based on hundreds of 2-3 year olds caught and tossed back here, but going off estimated size in relation to the screen, it's probably 15" and would be LEGAL here and weigh in around 1#.
Man, your fish in that water sure are skinny suckers.
Saw it hit nice and cleanly on the screen though, in spite of poor glare reduction for video-making purposes.
Putting the control head unit screen size indication in the captioning was a smart move, takes some of the guesswork out of estimating size without a known reference.
Rulers are still better though.

4.) "Little guy" at 9:00 was palm width + a piece of the tail sticking out = 4.5".
You sure you wanna stick with that 10"-11" you mentioned earlier?

5.) Anonymouse got out a tape measure and actually measured "another nice one" at 9:37.
Is was exactly 1/16th of an inch shy of 2".
(You KNOW Anonymouse is messin' witcha right now, yah, eh?)
Muahahahahaha
In relation to your palm width, it looked to be 4" + an additional 3" of tail section hanging past your hand - call it 7".

6.) Hammertime in your palm at 11:03 was 4.5"-5" even.

7.) "All the fish on the screen" at 12:00.
DUH! Yer making a fishing video and showing the audience your actual livescan images - so SHOW the audience the images, don't just talk about them.
All dat crappie ketchin' be gittin' in the way of ya video makin', son.

8.) "Boxin' him" looked to be about 8" in relation to the control head unit and again in relation to your hand, at 12:30.
It looked to be the stoutest one of the video too.

9.) Meat bag of filets at the end looked to be around 2#-2.5# of supper - close?

Okay, so Anonymouse will take your word for it if you say you ACTUALLY measured those crappies and they were 10"-11".
Otherwise, me smells somet'ing slightly fishy about those numbers.

Hope you took all this in the friendly spirit it was offered, even if it sounded a little heavy on the criticism.
You want to make fishing videos and share them and THAT is a noble endeavor (at least until you start getting paid to do it, then it's just a job).
If nobody tells you HOW to make them more appealing, how ya ever gunna find out?
Hopefully Anonymouse did you a small good turn in being honest about this all, from his perspective as your audience.
Keep 'em comin', brah.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 09-18-2020 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:01 AM
Wallhanger

You need to spend more time catching something yourself. Move away from your 27" monitor. JMHO Bob