Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Venerable Ned Rig - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-12-2021, 06:20 PM
Wallhanger

When did Charlie Brewer style fishing become Ned???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2021, 06:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
When did Charlie Brewer style fishing become Ned???

Not sure. Never knew the guy’s technique. If it’s like this, I bet he caught a bunch of fish!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Keeper

Default I've used with mixed success + my theory on neds

I went out of my way to try some different techniques for walleyes this year, with Ned rigs being one of them. I've had mixed results, and to me the success of the ned rig is almost entirely a function of the forage base in your particular lake.

For example, in lakes where there is a large crayfish presence, neds seem to do extremely well. However, in lakes where the fish are primarily feeding on freshwater shrimp, or maybe larger prey such as cisco, they were less effective. Of course there were a ton of variables in my efforts, however this is just what I have found so far.

I know guys absolutely smoke fish on LOTW with orange/brown neds. No surprise of course, considering the amount of rusty crayfish in there is insane and undoubtedly makes up a majority of the prey base.

Regardless, I think it's a technique that everyone should at least try on their local lake, because it seems like when it's working, it is lights out.

Cheers,

RJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

And lots of ways to rig. I can't guess how many smallmouths I've caught on this bait. If I ever replace it it is because the fish swallowed it so deep I had to just cut it off.
One of the previous pictures appeared to be "The Deal" color. It should be called money because that color works and works and works.
And use a loop knot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z-man craw.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	462.2 KB
ID:	328050  
Old 07-19-2021, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

You guys are killing me. Can't wait to try this the next time out...no this...no that!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Keeper

Our forage base is mainly small minnows, bugs, and gizzard shad. Not sure what is pink down there, but on overcast days it works really well.

I’ll have to try the loop knot, I usually use a Pitzen knot. The color is “meat dog”, now I’ll have to try “the deal”.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikear View Post
Our forage base is mainly small minnows, bugs, and gizzard shad. Not sure what is pink down there, but on overcast days it works really well.

I’ll have to try the loop knot, I usually use a Pitzen knot. The color is “meat dog”, now I’ll have to try “the deal”.
Oops you are right on that color, the deal is very good too. Have you tried PB& J, another winner. Whoever names their baits is kind of the Jerry Garcia of plastics.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Oops you are right on that color, the deal is very good too. Have you tried PB& J, another winner. Whoever names their baits is kind of the Jerry Garcia of plastics.

I have some finesse TRD that I’ve caught a bunch of smallmouth on during the spawn. I agree, crazy color names.

Another bait I use is Gene Larew inch worm in “Morning Dawn”. Not durable but there are days early in the year that the smallmouth prefer them.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:24 AM
Wallhanger

We fished Erie this past spring for walleye using a guide. My buddy and I are both Ned-rig fanatics, so we brought our own Ned bags with us. Everyone else was using the captain's jigs. So we're all drift jigging various baits and the captain comes back to net my buddy's nice walleye. As he brings it up into the boat, he asks as he takes the jig out of the net, "what the hail is this?" Ned-rig of course (Junebug colored TRD). That was a really funny moment - for us at least. I don't think the captain had ever seen one before.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:51 PM
Keeper

Default The Venerable Ned Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
We fished Erie this past spring for walleye using a guide. My buddy and I are both Ned-rig fanatics, so we brought our own Ned bags with us. Everyone else was using the captain's jigs. So we're all drift jigging various baits and the captain comes back to net my buddy's nice walleye. As he brings it up into the boat, he asks as he takes the jig out of the net, "what the hail is this?" Ned-rig of course (Junebug colored TRD). That was a really funny moment - for us at least. I don't think the captain had ever seen one before.

Doesn’t surprise me about the guide. Smallmouth and walleye love some Ned.