Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
need of a rack for my truck - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Minnow

Default need of a rack for my truck

My wife and I just got fishing kayaks. We want to take them with us when we go camping. Since the back of my truck will be full of camping equipment I am in need of a rack for my truck that fits 2 kayaks. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 AM
Keeper

Assume your looking for a rack for the box? Not too pricey & fairly simple from Harbor Freight. Probably would want to add some type of cradle(s) though. Yakima makes something similar but is over twice the cost.
https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ack-57208.html

If you're looking for a roof rack,Yakima or Thule are two most popular brands. Can get costly by the time you add up the towers, clips, crossbars, cradles, etc.... But they also work well.

Last edited by RistoRap; 07-26-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:12 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Adarack for my 17í canoe. All of the over the bed type racks are very strong and well suited for carrying long items.

A consideration is selecting a design the doesnít interfere with a bed cover. For example, mine is connected to the stake pockets which preclude certain rack designs. Even if you donít have a cover, you might want one so tentatively find one that are mutually compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2021, 01:32 PM
Minnow

I had my kayak fall sideways while lifting it up on my truck, landing on my mirror and breaking it. Fortunately no damage to kayak, but do not want to happen again. To prevent this I put a strap in a loose loop from the front cross member to back cross member before leaning kayak against the truck.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:20 PM
Keeper

We have Yakima racks on all 3 vehicles so we can mix and match kayak saddles, ski rack, cargo box etc. depending on which vehicle we want to use.
You didn’t mention if you had a topper or not.
That will make a huge difference in what will work.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 AM
Keeper

I just completed a carrier for my kayak this weekend. The plan is to be able to load this on top of my truck, AND be able to tow my camper. Success remains to be seen.

When I have my kayak on my truck, I have a about 3" of rear glass clearance on the back of my cab, and about 4" of clearance to the front of my trailer. I am well above the propane tanks.
However, I suspect that If I need to go through a deep rut, that I can only handle about a 10" dip for my rear wheels (or a 10" rise for the front) of my truck and I might make contact with my camper.

Most of my driving to go camping is on relatively flat dirt roads, but there is the odd hole in the road or two. I might just hook up this weekend and see how it does.

This is steel tubing that I had laying around from another project, combined with some Thule garage sale kayak holders. The side bars are mounted to the rails such that my tonneau cover can still open, but in order to fully open I have to remove the cross bars. Only one grade 8 bolt each side of the crossbars, so it comes apart quick enough.
Here's hoping no front impact crashes occur. Otherwise I'll have a torpedo coming through the cab.

I'd much prefer an overhead rack, and will likely be headed in that direction soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_145012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	328398