Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
yukon instrument cluster - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2015, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

No my dash lights never flickered nor blinked on and off. It started with the tach acting screwy, then the volt gauge, then all of them didn't work for a couple starts, then they all started working again and all have been working for a couple days. I read about changing the motors but I didn't quite follow the part about sucking the old solder out of the connections. I have not done much soldering. Taking the cluster out is pretty straight forward and should not be a problem.

Rebs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 06:49 AM
MK cant log

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I read about changing the motors but I didn't quite follow the part about sucking the old solder out of the connections. I have not done much soldering. Taking the cluster out is pretty straight forward and should not be a problem.
You don't need a solder-sucker. You can use solder-wick and it works just as well. Its a copper braided material that comes on a spool. It very thin and about 1/8" wide. You put it on the connection and heat the solder thru it;when the solder liquifies it is pulled into wick.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=88553268

You also need a small tipped iron.

There are guys on ebay that will rebuild the panel for you. They charge about $100-$150 and a buddy sent his to one of them and got it back in just a few days. Dealer wanted over $600 for new panel.

If you need to you can drive the car w/out the panel.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

Contact Jethro - he's got the Big 3 figured out. Don't tell him that's it's only the big 2 now... LMAO
Old 02-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

Rebs, There is a battery cable glitch on gm trucks. It requires replacing the battery cable. Your dealer will try cleaning terminals but probably will need replacement at some point. I don't remember the years affected but if you dig a little you should find the info. The bad part is when the engine dies and won't restart. Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 02-22-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Hey Bob, that's interesting. I've never heard the battery cable deal. In my 03 Yukon, I have a battery cable from the battery to a nut, where another separate cable goes from there to the starter. If I replace a cable, does it need to be both? Think it'll fix my problem of blown fuses?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Rebs, There is a battery cable glitch on gm trucks. It requires replacing the battery cable. Your dealer will try cleaning terminals but probably will need replacement at some point. I don't remember the years affected but if you dig a little you should find the info. The bad part is when the engine dies and won't restart. Bob
which battery cable is it ?

Rebs
Old 02-24-2015, 05:01 AM
Wallhanger

Dealer did it. 2010 Silverado. I do not know which cable but the problem is gone. I googled"gm trucks with battery cable troubles". A couple of pages of instances.

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 02-24-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Keeper

Welcome to the world of GM.... I have 3 buddies that have GM trucks and they all have cluster issues. One of them did replace the stepper motors on his cluster, it worked for a while, then the new stepper's quit working.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

I met a guy at the sportmans club that is a GM mechanic so I asked him about the problem. His reply was pull the trim ring off and remove the 4 screws that hold the cluster in and unplug the wiring harness (there is only one plug) put dielectric grease on the female part and plug it in and out about 6 or so times, then put everything back together. He said he has fixed more like this than replacing the motors. I am going to give it a try.

Rebs
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Minnow

Default 2005 Suburban

Our 2005 Suburban had two complete clusters replaced under warranty. Both times the problems occurred under 42,000 on the truck. The different gauges would start reading completely incorrectly.

FDR