Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
E-TEC G2 250, Icon Guage & NMEA - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 AM
Minnow

Default E-TEC G2 250, Icon Guage & NMEA

Looking at a Ranger Angler (new) with a E-TEC G2 250 HO. It has the Icon 3.5C display with the Point-1 GPS compass on the boat. I am trying to find out if that means the boat already has a NMEA backbone installed for the guage / motor / point-1 to communicate.

Next question is if I were to add an Elite 9 Ti2 to the boat, to get the engine data on the Elite would it be as easy as connecting the Elite to the NMEA network already in the boat (assuming there is one there from my first question)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Wallhanger

A G2 uses a NMEA2000 network as standard equipment so any approved NMEA2000 network items may be added.

The new Garmin Echomap and GPS map MFDs, as well as Lowrance TI2 Series and Simrad GO series can show engine gauges when an Evinrude engine interface cable and network starter kit are added. It is best to keep the Icon gauge installed as a backup and to show all the error codes should something happen.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Minnow

Given the boat will already have the NMEA network, is the Evinrude engine interface cable already there hooking the G2 to the NMEA network so the Icon guage can get the data.....meaning if I connect my Lowrance to the NMEA network it will be able to consume the engine data? Or does the Icon guage get its data differently and I would still need an engine interface cable to get the data onto the Lowrance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Wallhanger

Just connect your display to the network and the basic engine info will be available. Check with Garmin to see if your unit has or can be loaded with the complete Evinrude software system. There will be an Evinrude icon on your display if it is installed. Some Garmin versions do not have this capability.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

I donít believe the OP has a Garmin unit but rather a Lowrance unit.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-26-2020, 09:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I donít believe the OP has a Garmin unit but rather a Lowrance unit.
Yep, my mistake.

The new Garmin Echomap and GPS map MFDs, as well as Lowrance TI2 Series and Simrad GO series will all show Evinrude engine gauges with the display manufacturers' software for Evinrude installed.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Minnow

Thanks all, I just talked with the dealer and had the Elite Ti2 connected to the NMEA network and all will work as you stated. Thanks again for the help!