Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
La Crosse, WI Area - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Minnow

Default La Crosse, WI Area

Relocating to La Crosse, WI. Where are the best spots to start fishing in the fall in this area. I will be moving in the next few weeks would like to gather some info ahead of time. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
wimwuen unlogged

There are a lot of options in the LaCrosse area. Dresbach dam is the closest, and will offer good vertical jigging/drifting. There are a lot of wing dams in the first few miles down stream that will hold fish as they move upstream. Things are a little behind here now, so the bite may take untill mid October to really start up.

A lot of folks here prefer to fish down on pool 9 (Genoa), and I prefer fishing pool 7 (Trempealeau). There's a lot of water to fish withing 45 minutes either way. Let me know what type of fishing you'd like to do, and maybe I can point you in a more percise direction. There's jigging, pitching jigs, trolling, leadcore, three ways etc...

Pick your poison.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Keeper

Get your fly fishing lessons scheduled. My sister lives in that area and I go up there trout fishing at least a few times a year. It's excellent trout fishing and have never been dissappointed. I still haven't learned fly fishing but do quite will with a spinner setup and some nice crawlers. There are streams all over near La Crosse. Check out the Coon Valley area to start.

I'm sure there is great fishing on the miss. river too but haven't had a chance to try that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Keeper

Default Re: WI / LaCrosse

In Wisconsin you may want to check out An Atlas / Gazeeter (sp?) for your area - it will get you started. There are also lake books avaiable that break the state into sections. You should be able to find them at a local WalMart when you get to WI.
Since you are so close to MN, don't automatically limit yourself to WI state waters, you may have many more options to chose from.
For others closer to LaCrosse area, you may wish to let people know what type and style fishing - ie from shore, have a boat, species, water type, etc.