Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Way to Repower - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Wallhanger

If you have a trusted dealer, drop in and see them. Take the model and serial # off of your current motor with you so that the dealer can determine if your current wiring harness will work with the new or newer motor. Get a price on a replacement motor. Get a value on your trade. Armed with this you can shop around. Most of the manufacturers have incentives for repowering. If you can swing it go new or low hour newer. You do not want to buy somebody else's heartburn. I believe there is a dealer advertising brand new 150's in the classifieds on here. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 03:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1972 View Post
Best way to repower is with a new or different boat with the motor you want.
This is the smart way. re power means lose your azz.Repower as a last resort I would find a different boat you will make out$$ much better my 2 cents
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Keeper

Not sure where you are located but here's a 150 xr6. http://appleton.craigslist.org/bpo/5496788201.html
Old 04-23-2016, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePops View Post
Yea it's rated for it. I am pretty good mechanically, but on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard is the swap to do yourself?
sell it my 2 cents
Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the guy that said people worry too much about resale. It's not like you're going to make money on the boat. Some people buy and sell all the time then resale may be more important. If you like the boat and plan on keeping it for a while, go for it. Myself if my motor went bad today I'd repower as I plan on keeping the boat for years yet.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Just wanted to bring up the subject of outboard weight, but maybe you've already thought about this.

A 2001 90 2-stroke is probably a 4-cylinder and probably weighs in the area of 300 lbs. A 115 2-stroke should weigh nearly the same. A 150 2-stroke is likely to be a 6 cylinder and weigh close to 400 lbs. A typical 150 4-stroke probably weighs close to 500 lbs, although some 150 4-strokes like the Mercury 150 EFI are about 450 lbs

The difference in weight between a 90 and a 150 will make the boat behave differently, sometimes causing porpoising issues that weren't evident with the lighter outboard and certainly making the stern of the boat sit lower in the water at rest. Just something to keep in mind. If you have ridden in a boat like yours with a 150, you'll have a better idea whether there's a downside to re-powering with a more powerful, but heavier, outboard.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

Mercury offers remanufactured components and outboards with a 1 year warranty. Check out their web page https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...emanufacturing
Old 04-26-2016, 08:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
I agree with the guy that said people worry too much about resale. It's not like you're going to make money on the boat. Some people buy and sell all the time then resale may be more important. If you like the boat and plan on keeping it for a while, go for it. Myself if my motor went bad today I'd repower as I plan on keeping the boat for years yet.
Same here. I like my boat a lot, the layout, the utility...why start over if I the motor goes? You're going to take an absolute pounding trying to sell or trade in a boat with a blown motor...why not just re-power?

Other than trying to find another used version of what I have, the only modern boat I'd consider as a replacement is the new Lund Pro-V Bass...and they start around $40K...way more than twice what I have in the boat I own...a brand new 150 is maybe $12K...I don't have to be a finance wizard to see which option puts a bigger ding in my retirement.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Minnow

I did just what you were talking about this past winter. Switched out my 2003 115 merc efi, for a 2013 Yamaha f150. It's easy easy. I literally had my 115 off my boat in under a hr. Did it in a buddies shop and he ha a lift hook in roof spanning across several rafter just used a chain fall and was no prob. Hooked up my existing analog Lund gauges to the Yamaha and away I went. Total time to take 115 off and hang the new 150 was 2hr I bet. Once the 150 was hung came a few other little things but the swapping of motors was easy.