Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat height question for new structure. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Boat height question for new structure.

I’m currently in the process of having a metal structure built to house my current boat, which actually fits into a 6 foot 8 inch opening. I’d like to purchase a new boat in the future, maybe next year and would be upgrading substantially in size. I’m wondering what height opening your walleye rigs need to fit? I just as well have this opening built to accommodate now rather than limit my selection later based on this opening. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2021, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

I built my detached garage about 10 years ago. My advice is that whatever size you think you should do, go larger. You will fill up whatever space you have. My building is 24' x 52'. I had to do a 10' x 30' addition when I bought a bigger boat.

On door height, I'd do at least 9' tall, and a minimum of 30' deep.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Wallhanger

I built my new garage with a 16x8’ door and 10’ ceiling height, I have no problems putting my Lund Impact in that garage. My pole barn has a 16x7’ door and it’s a struggle putting my Impact in that opening, go taller if you plan on a windshield boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2021, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

10' walls can get you a 9' door with low overhang doors. I'd go that route (and did last year when i built mine)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:21 AM
Wallhanger

8' high door clears my 22' Skeeter with at least 6" to spare, 7' is a no go for most current walleye boats. 10' wide door is a minimum door width. The new Skeeters sit 3-4" higher yet on their trailers. Not sure what normal fishing boat would need more than an 8' high opening. 30' depth is really nice, my 22' boat fits with a cabinet along the back wall, and a little room to get past the back of the boat. 26' garage depth limits you to a 20' boat with no cabinets on wall.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

When we built a new garage a few years ago, I put 9 tall by 12 wide doors. Got tired of trying to squeeze the boat in.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Keeper

9-10 feet tall doors would be awesome. Especially if you put a tower on it one day.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Old 05-27-2021, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

Wally,

Go higher than you think you'll need.

Door height is like outlets. You'll never say "I should have built it shorter." / "I have too many outlets in my shop"

Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2021, 04:05 PM
Wallhanger

I would go with 9 foot high door. 8 foot works with most boats. But start adding vertical rod trees or other stuff. Can get tight. Plus depending if you have an a sharp angle going up to the garage. Certain outboards can be pretty high also. If allowed 30 foot length. Rather have a few extra feet between the motor and back wall. Plus if you get into the above 20 foot boats with big outboards. 25 feet long can get real tight. For width I would go with whatever a double garage door is. It is nice to have a wide garage opening. If anything to take garbage cans or lawn mowers out of the corners. Without moving the boat. Make sure you add enough outlets. Plus led strip shop lights are nice.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Use a 10 ft. wide door by 9-10 ft. high (at least) with an electric opener
Install windows at a height that does not allow anybody to look into the building
If your running water and no heating, install the plumbing to allow for draining and or clearing the pipes for the winter and if possible install floor drains
Install plenty of electrical outlets and mount outside motion detector lights high up for more effect, use outdoor LED bulbs that will work in the cold
Your "man cave" can never be too big !

Last edited by Franco Cialone; 05-29-2021 at 10:57 AM.