Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cliff Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-17-2022, 05:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default Cliff Lake

Headed out on Cliff Lake yesterday for the first trip for lake trout.There is a ton of snow on the lake.Brought a couple of tents along but really didn't need them yesterday as the weather was pretty mild at -6.We had a lot of action but lakers wouldn't take the bait and just chased most of day.Tried a lot of different lures but nothing seemed to work.Had a couple on but got off.Finally I ended up with one and got it up on the ice.Enjoyable day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220116_112704_1642421358466.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	331306  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Didja try one of those 3/4 oz jigs I gave you? I never tried then for trout in the winter, but they are good trout producers in soft water.

Bill
Old 01-17-2022, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Didja try one of those 3/4 oz jigs I gave you? I never tried then for trout in the winter, but they are good trout producers in soft water.

Bill
I sure did Bill.I put it down bare and they chased it then I broufht it up and put a minnow on and just chased it.I don't have many lures just the ones that have worked in the past and now I have one of yours with them.Trout would take off like a rocket from the bottom and come up to 20 ft from 57 ft in like 2 seconds.Stop right on bait and leave it alone or they would bump it.i rip it up couple of ft and they would be on it again.lol.Drive you nuts.lol.My tubes with and without bait ,spoons and then I put my small smelt colored vibrato on and BOOM got one.That was only fish I got.My buddy had a good one on and lost and his gf was getting same action as us.I had like a dozen fish do that.Normalky they bite but not yesterday.oh well next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2022, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Quote:

Bill
I sure did Bill.I put it down bare and they chased it then I broufht it up and put a minnow on and just chased it.I don't have many lures just the ones that have worked in the past and now I have one of yours with them.Trout would take off like a rocket from the bottom and come up to 20 ft from 57 ft in like 2 seconds.Stop right on bait and leave it alone or they would bump it.i rip it up couple of ft and they would be on it again.lol.Drive you nuts.lol.My tubes with and without bait ,spoons and then I put my small smelt colored vibrato on and BOOM got one.That was only fish I got.My buddy had a good one on and lost and his gf was getting same action as us.I had like a dozen fish do that.Normalky they bite but not yesterday.oh well next time.
Don't laugh at my tackle box.Its all I need this time of the year and basically in summer except for my 5 muskie lures in use.On walleye side I have 3 of your hair jigs which will get used again for crappie and walleye and other side I have your bigger jig there with the trout lures.It will get ate a few times this winter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220117_155729_1642457213519.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	331314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_155618_1642457318512.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	331316  
Old 01-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Try sticking a piece of gullet on the jig.

Bill
Old 01-18-2022, 03:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

Bill
Gotta catch a fish first to get the gullet,not sure if john can do that.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Quote:

Bill
Gotta catch a fish first to get the gullet,not sure if john can do that.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Have thrown a lot of gullets out since ice fishing started.lol.what happened was one of those days.Have had them before and will have some more.The other day crappie fishing I was lucky and found a few stickle back minnows in the minnow pail.that seemed to be the preferred food.that day.I have cleaned many lake trout and quite often they are packed with stickle back.might be why I do so well on trout when i use my darker silver vibrato.Who knows.If they had been on the feed bag I would of caught at least a dozen.Was glad with one.Was a great meal fried in a bit of olive and dipped in instant potatoe flakes.7-8 " of snow today and its not done yet.plowed once already today so wouldn't be as much to push tomorrow.total white out this morning and many accidents again and road closures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220117_172133_1642548487100.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	440.9 KB
ID:	331322  
Old 01-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

Did you catch any walleyes John?
Old 01-18-2022, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
Did you catch any walleyes John?
Absolutely.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Have thrown a lot of gullets out since ice fishing started.lol.what happened was one of those days.Have had them before and will have some more.The other day crappie fishing I was lucky and found a few stickle back minnows in the minnow pail.that seemed to be the preferred food.that day.I have cleaned many lake trout and quite often they are packed with stickle back.might be why I do so well on trout when i use my darker silver vibrato.Who knows.If they had been on the feed bag I would of caught at least a dozen.Was glad with one.Was a great meal fried in a bit of olive and dipped in instant potatoe flakes.7-8 " of snow today and its not done yet.plowed once already today so wouldn't be as much to push tomorrow.total white out this morning and many accidents again and road closures.
John’s country restaurant,fresh fish everyday is what the sign outside will say,has a nice ring to it.