Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crestliner carpet project - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 AM
Wallhanger

Default Crestliner carpet project

I have a 2003 Fish Hawk and the carpet is getting pretty bad. I have new carpet on the way and will start soon.
The old carpet does not appear to be glued down at least where it is torn in places and the screws go through the carpet.

I thought the screws were normally under the carpet and it was glued down.

I have one piece of plywood that may need to be replaced.

I need to trim the lids on storage compartments as they are so tight with the original carpet that you can barely open them and I ordered 20oz carpet and the original is probably 16oz.
There is carpet on the side walls of the boat that is ok, just dirty. I will probably soak with laundry soap and water then power wash.

Also I have screws loosen up on the decking all the time and want to put something on the screws to keep them from backing out. I don't know whether to use locktite or silicone or what.

Any advise from people who have done this project is appreciated especially if you have a Crestliner.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 AM
Keeper

Looking forward to seeing some pictures along the way! Screws backing out of aluminum boats is something I really hate. I really wish manufacturers would start using inserts in the wood for the screw to go into.
Lock tite likely won’t work but you could try using one size bigger stainless screw and a bit of construction adhesive like PLPremium
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 AM
Wallhanger

I'm still wondering about the best way to mark screw holes so I know where to put the screws back in or if I should just drill new holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 AM
Keeper

I think you could likely probably just drill new holes.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

You might consider replacing the wood screws with T-Nuts and then locktite the threaded screw.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Nuts-18-8-S...ustrial&sr=1-1

Marty
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

The screws that loosen up are into the aluminum to hold the plywood down not into the wood.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Brighton,

I was just chatting with a friend who's son purchased a crestliner of about the age you are speaking from a friend.

Before the job was finished, he replaced the transom board, 100% of the wood in the floor, as well as all of the carpet in the boat.

He worked on the boat for about a month through the winter to get every thing finished up. I believe that he spent a total of about $500 for everything including materials as well as outsourced labor to weld metal back in place after it had been removed for the transom board replacement.

---
CAUTION --
If you have one soft spot in the wood in your boat, do yourself a favor and check every square inch of wood in your boat, including the transom board so that if you get into repair, you do all of the necessary repairs to make it a safe and long lived boat again.

Best wishes.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 AM
Wallhanger

There was 1 spot on the back deck where the plywood was rotted. I cut a new piece yesterday. The transom is sound. I expect the carpet sometime today. I am just going to do one section at a time on rainy days so I can fish on the nice days.