Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Colored hooks? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 PM
Tony

Default Colored hooks?

I've heard a lot of talk about colored hooks catching more walleye than regular bronze hooks. This last weekend, Al Lindner did a segement on glow hooks. Red bleeding bait hooks, flourescent painted hooks, and glow hooks; for you guys that use them, are they worth the extra cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 01:45 PM
SoDak Boy

Default RE: Colored hooks?

I use metallic red hooks (Gamakatsu mostly) for years and swear by them. I am convinced that in many situations they significantly out-produce ordinary hooks and I have yet to see a situation where they appear to negatively impact results. I've also used florescent hooks quite a bit but I don’t like how the paint chips when you have to use a pliers or forceps to unhook a deeply hooked fish. I’ve not used any of the “new” glow hooks but will experiment with them this summer. Hooks painted with the “old” (green) glow never seemed to significantly outperform regular hooks and I haven’t used them in several years now. I can wholeheartedly recommend the red Gamakatsu octopus hooks for tying walleye rigs. They’re great hooks and the color seems to outproduce everything else I’ve tried.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Keeper

I agree somewhat-

The glow hooks piss me off something fience when you have what looks like the ultimate snell, and then have some sheephead bury it deep in it's throat. The paint chips off when you remove the hook with a plyers and then presto-chango- you have a regular hook!!! Somewhat the same thing with the red gamagatzo hooks as well. They turn into bronze and red hooks after some useage. BUT... both have seemed to out perform other hooks, so it turns out to be a pick-your-poison type of deal. I am going to tie one color of each (white, green, pink, orange, red, etc) on a snell just in case. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

skz

The best time to go fishing is whenever you can...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Throw a permanent red magic marker in the boat. Heck why stop there, they make blue and other colors too. I'm gonna give it a try this year, the red colors up the old bronze hooks better than any other. We'll see. Give it a try! I've even gone so far as to "paint" some of my jig hooks red too with the marker to give them a try this sping.

And some of the red hooks chip (vmc) so the red marker acts as a touch up.

bob
Old 03-31-2003, 07:42 PM
Gov.

colared hookes have made adifferance at times for me. If you dont want to spend the extra $ for colerd hooks try using powder paint, Ive done it and works fine as long as you bake them.Clear the eyes first and dont cover the point. This way you also can use your favorit hook.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Keeper

they sound like utter nonsense to me.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Minnow

After fishing Mille Lacs last year I use nothing but the metallic red hooks (Gamakatsu). I have gone out with three people in the boat only one with the red hook and that out fished the other two 4 to 1 (eyes) I don't know why but that's all I have used since. Just my two cents.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Minnow

I too am a believer in red hooks. They have outfished all others the last three years on Mil Lacs. My buddies and I, always try to find what is hot before the others do and try to outfish each other for awhile. Usually by the end of the trip you cannot find one person with any other color than red on there line.

We have one friend whom is not too smart, Tom Knutson will just set there and watch us catch fish without ever changing...he will not give in!
Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 AM
W1

I have used the Gamakatsu hooks and the paint SUCKS!! It comes off very easy. So, I made my powder paint hooks, Purple works the best for me.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:21 AM
hawgman

Based on this thread, red hooks are very popular when fishing with spinners. And I agree...red hooks often catch more walleyes when pulling a spinner/crawler harness combo than bronze or black hooks.

My question is why stop at the hooks if red is such a hot color? Red beads are often used, but what about the spinner? I've had great luck with a spinner that's red/white on one side and silver on the other. But I rarely see anyone else using this color.