Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
20.32# Walleye Caught - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Soon

I'll be moving to the Oregon side (probably) of the Columbia River in the near future and this thread has definitely confirmed my decision as a good one. I may or may not have a boat but will be checking out guides either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
That fish was near the end of it's life cycle. Is it better that it die and sink to the bottom of a lake to decompose? Or, to have it land on the wall of a lucky angler to be forever appreciated with fond memories every time he gazes upon it?

I would rather see it on a wall than rotting on the bottom of the lake.

There is no guarantee it would ever be caught by another angler ever again in it's lifetime.

I do both catch and C&R (depending on where I'm fishing and if I need any fish at the time), so I appreciate both viewpoints. I just don't think someone else should judge another person for doing what they want to within the law.
Or he could have let it go, someone else caught it ten minutes later, and then they decide to put it on the wall. I for sure would have put it on the wall. As old as it is by the way, I am surprised it looks so darn healthy.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Default It's Official Now...New State Record...

Its Official!

NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
March 5, 2014
or Bruce Baker, (360) 902-2764

New State Fishing Record: Walleye (Stizostedion vitreum)

Caught by John Grubenhoff of Pasco, WA, in Lake Wallula (Columbia River), Benton County, on Feb. 28, 2014

Weight: 20.32 lbs
Total Length: 35.50 inches (90 cm)
Girth: 22.75 inches (57.5 cm)

Fishing method/gear: Trolling in 22 feet of water upstream along a current break at 0.8 mph and using a Rapala® J-13 lure 6 feet behind a 2 oz. “bottom walker” weight.

Conditions: Sunny, but with a cold front coming in the next day. Water temperature: 37.2 degrees; air temperature: upper 40s.
Species description: Walleye are extremely popular sport fish everywhere they occur, and are known for their exquisite flavor. They are native to the Midwest United States and were first identified in Washington about 1960 in Banks Lake. They have since spread throughout the Columbia Basin and the Columbia River from Lake Roosevelt, downstream to near Longview. Washington is known nationwide for its walleye fishing.

Previous record: Taken Feb. 5, 2007 in Lake Wallula (Columbia River) by Mike Hepper of Richland, WA

Weight: 19.3 lbs
Total Length: 33.7 inches
Girth: 22.2 inches
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com

2019 Ranger 621 FS
300 G2
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Ulterra w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird Helix 12 MEGA SI CHIRP Gen2