Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
My new 620 FS Cup! - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Very nice!
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Wallhanger

Happy to hear about your experience with Bob at Trailer Tux. He truly is a gem of a person, and the Tux is a great product.

Waxy
Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Happy to hear about your experience with Bob at Trailer Tux. He truly is a gem of a person, and the Tux is a great product.

Waxy
Yeah, when I told him I intend to travel a lot with the boat (hence my wanting a Trailer Tux), he even made a point to invite me to come out and do some fishing with him in Saskatchewan - and then repeated the invitation in a subsequent conversation to make sure I understood that he meant it. Great guy!

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 01:35 PM
Wallhanger

Nice looking boat for sure. Being an old hockey goalie( there are no ex goalies, once a goalie, you're a goalie for life, haha) I love the look of the brown leather, reminds me of vintage Cooper and Brown pads. Looks very classy.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Nice looking boat for sure. Being an old hockey goalie( there are no ex goalies, once a goalie, you're a goalie for life, haha) I love the look of the brown leather, reminds me of vintage Cooper and Brown pads. Looks very classy.

Huh, you're right, it DOES look like that! Now I like it even more!

Gerry
Old 08-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Keeper

Awesome boat!! I had a 89' Ranger Fishermen 680T, was a fantastic boat.. I wish Ranger would do a taller windshield and bigger rod lockers for walleye boats..

With that said they are FANTASTIC boats!

SWEET COLOURS!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I know folks have been waiting to hear how it's going with my new boat, and I'm sorry to have kept anyone in suspense! I'm even sorrier that you're going to have wait at least a bit longer to hear about me fishing from it.

Circumstances have conspired to keep me from taking it out since I picked it up just over 2 weeks ago, but those are all finally resolving and I have plans to first take it to a big parking lot tomorrow for a last bit of practice maneuvering with it on its trailer, and then a few days later to take it to a nice, quiet lake not too far away to launch it for the first time at what will hopefully be a fairly UNbusy ramp. I haven't yet decided to do any fishing on that outing, but probably not; really what I want to focus on is launching, operating on the water (and starting to familiarize myself with the electronics) and hauling out. I expect to take it out fishing soon after in any event!

In the meantime, I wanted to let folks know what's going on, post a few pictures and share some of my first thoughts:

I, the boat center manager who is my dealer and his service manager took it out on Lake Erie for a few hours when I went to pick it up. They operated it some, showing me various things, and then I operated it some. My initial thought is that the color scheme I came up with is BEAUTIFUL in the sunshine, in fact just as I envisioned it! My second thought is that it's FAST and SMOOTH, amazing so in both regards! I suspect that once I know how to trim it up properly I won't have any trouble getting it up to 60 mph if I want to do so. Again, that's "if I want to do so." Frankly, I feel no compulsion to go as fast in it as it is capable of going - my leadfooted youth is well behind me (and the state of MN helped encourage me to slow down by taking my driver's license away for a while back then for speeding) - and probably will rarely use its capability in that regard, e.g. maybe just when I'm on big water and see a storm brewing. I was really surprised what a nice ride it seems to give at any speed! I mean, that's why I went with a 20+-ft fiberglass boat, but hearing and reading about such a boat's performance is one thing and actually experiencing it is quite another.

From what I've seen so far I quite like the Cup package I got AND almost all of the optional add-ons I selected. Most notably: That 15 hp EFI kicker and its linkage to the 250 hp main motor are sweet! I quite like the 48" Bert's Tracks mounted on the aft gunwales, too. The VHF installation looks very good, doesn't get in the way at all (I was a bit concerned that it might) and will definitely add both safety and a feeling of security when I'm out on the aforementioned big water. The trailer's lift roller system looks so slick that I'm actually eager to launch from a shallow boat ramp to try it out properly. The Trailer Tux, bought separately from a very nice fellow in Saskatchewan and then mounted by my dealer, looks like it'll do a great job of protecting my investment from dings it would otherwise acquire on the road.

One thing that I bought additionally which looks to me to be a waste of a bit of money is a pair of covers for the main and kicker motors; I suspect I won't bother using them after taking them off the first time. (The boat cover included with the purchase is very nice, though.)

Anyway, attached are a few pictures. I'll post more pictures focusing on a few specific things in an older thread that I'll revive in a moment, so be sure to check out "For those picking up their new 2020 Ranger FS boats - Need your feedback."

That's it for now!

Gerry
“The VHF installation looks very good, doesn't get in the way at all (I was a bit concerned that it might) and will definitely add both safety and a feeling of security when I'm out on the aforementioned big water. The trailer's lift roller system looks so slick that I'm actually eager to launch from a shallow boat ramp to try it out properly. The Trailer Tux, bought separately from a very nice fellow in Saskatchewan and then mounted by my dealer, looks like it'll do a great job of protecting my investment from dings it would otherwise acquire on the road”

Forgive me for being stupid but what is the VHF? What do you mean by the trailers lift roller system?

Great looking boat Gerry!

Thanks, Don
Old 08-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
“The VHF installation looks very good, doesn't get in the way at all (I was a bit concerned that it might) and will definitely add both safety and a feeling of security when I'm out on the aforementioned big water. The trailer's lift roller system looks so slick that I'm actually eager to launch from a shallow boat ramp to try it out properly. The Trailer Tux, bought separately from a very nice fellow in Saskatchewan and then mounted by my dealer, looks like it'll do a great job of protecting my investment from dings it would otherwise acquire on the road”

Forgive me for being stupid but what is the VHF? What do you mean by the trailers lift roller system?

Great looking boat Gerry!

Thanks, Don

Thanks for the compliment, Don!

I bought the Cup package of Ranger's 620FS boat so most things (the main motor, trolling motor, fishing electronics...) were pre-selected, but I added a couple of the available options.

One was a VHF radio with antenna, which I thought to be a good idea for calling for help or for helping out others in emergencies on big water such as Lake Erie.

Another was a lift roller system for the trailer. They build the trailer with bunks, as usual, but then they add a few rollers that stay down out of the way unless you raise them with an added small winch. That way, if you're launching into or especially hauling out of particularly shallow water, you can raise the rollers and roll the boat off or on rather than try to slide it off or on to those bunks. Pretty slick! I'll have to take a couple of photos of the trailer's lift roller system sometime soon when the boat is in the water so you can see what it looks like; I tried hard to find any such pictures on the internet myself before getting my boat but found nothing.

Nothing stupid about your questions, amigo! It's all a learning process. Look back in time just a bit on this and the other message boards here and you'll see that I pestered folks with a LOT of such questions before ordering my boat.

Gerry
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Don!

I bought the Cup package of Ranger's 620FS boat so most things (the main motor, trolling motor, fishing electronics...) were pre-selected, but I added a couple of the available options.

One was a VHF radio with antenna, which I thought to be a good idea for calling for help or for helping out others in emergencies on big water such as Lake Erie.

Another was a lift roller system for the trailer. They build the trailer with bunks, as usual, but then they add a few rollers that stay down out of the way unless you raise them with an added small winch. That way, if you're launching into or especially hauling out of particularly shallow water, you can raise the rollers and roll the boat off or on rather than try to slide it off or on to those bunks. Pretty slick! I'll have to take a couple of photos of the trailer's lift roller system sometime soon when the boat is in the water so you can see what it looks like; I tried hard to find any such pictures on the internet myself before getting my boat but found nothing.

Nothing stupid about your questions, amigo! It's all a learning process. Look back in time just a bit on this and the other message boards here and you'll see that I pestered folks with a LOT of such questions before ordering my boat.

Gerry
VHF, Dah! I guess it threw me off because you were saying installed and out of the way. The roller system sounds pretty cool. If you have the time at the boat ramp take a photo of the rollers, just curious how they work.

Thanks again
Don
Old 08-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Keeper

That is one fine looking fishing machine! Hope you can get on the water plenty with it-