Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gunisao Lake - Manitoba - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Minnow

Default Gunisao Lake - Manitoba

I saw in the 2003 Manitoba Fishing & Hunting magazine that this lake is credited with about 40% of the walleye Master Angler listings. It's unbelieveable!

Has anyone out there ever fished this lake? What was your experience with the walleye and pike fishing? And what lodge would you recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Gunisao Lake - Manitoba

Never been there, Babe W. featured this lake for several years on his show, made it look like a piece of cake to catch trophy size fish. Walleyes and Pike.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Gunisao Lake - Manitoba

*>I saw in the 2003 Manitoba Fishing & Hunting magazine that >this lake is credited with about 40% of the walleye Master >Angler listings. It's unbelieveable!
>Has anyone out there ever fished this lake? What was your >experience with the walleye and pike fishing? And what lodge >would you recommend?

Hi T-Bone,

There is only one lodge on the lake, and that's Budd's Gunisao Lake Lodge. I've guided there for the last four years, but it's not like I'm paid to recruit people... The fishing last year was the best I've seen. Late spring and stable weather most likely helped that. Over 900 trophies(28" +) were caught, along with good numbers of fish most days. Other years about 300- 400 or so were caught. Hard to say exactly since most people are returning guests who already have their five, and the guides catch some too. In any case, the fishing has improved every year I've been there.

The pike are nice and healthy, fun fishing, but this isn't the lake if you want trophy pike. Walleyes dominate. August is the best time for pike fishing, later the better. Lakers are there to be had in the spring, average around fat 34-38", but with the walleyes we almost never try for them. I don't think it's a huge population of Lakers.

It's a small lake, so it can be 'crowded' at times when the walleyes are concentrated, even with one lodge there, but sometimes you end up with most of the lake to yourself.

They have a web site too, but I can answer details that it doesn't cover. Been reading the board a few years, so not going anywhere ;). Can't wait for spring.