Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Line conditioner? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

I originally purchased the KVD conditioner and liked how it made things operate smoother. Then later purchased BPS's line conditioner. The BPS conditioner felt oily versus the KVD. With that in mind I wondered about the difference in ingredients. From what limited information I found, I even tried to find the MSDS (material safety data sheet) the KVD appears to be water based versus some others are silicone or oil. Not sure if that's a difference between these two products. The water based ingredients may impregnate the line versus just washing off, which would be a benefit. With silicone based products or oil based my concern would be that over time it may have a tendency to deterioate the line and/or build up on my reels, etc... Anyway, nothing scientific just my limited experience and take. Would love to hear others input and experience as well.

Last edited by Shotgun; 02-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Keeper

BPS pushes Reel Magic a lot or did, Their own brand might be Reel Magic under their label. What is the reason you guys are using a line conditioner? I bought my only bottle thinking it would cure the spool set in the line. I then decided just to change brands of line and do it more often.

Last edited by Ches; 02-22-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Slot Fish

Never used any until I purchased a can of Reel Magic to try on some contrary spincast reels that always give the kids fits - AND IT WORKED. It's now a part of the regular maintenance for the 202's and 33's that I keep around for the offspring to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauff View Post
Never used any until I purchased a can of Reel Magic to try on some contrary spincast reels that always give the kids fits - AND IT WORKED. It's now a part of the regular maintenance for the 202's and 33's that I keep around for the offspring to use.
I think this is just my point, if you don't change mono line every year, this stuff may help you out. Especially on spincasting reels that can be problematic when it comes to spool line memory.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Rather than use line conditioner, let all of the line off of your reels as you are on your way to the fishing grounds and let the full length of line pull in the water for an 1/8th of a mile or so. Then, slow down and reel the line back on the reel.

Particularly if the line has not been used for a while, the line may take a "set" from being wound on the reel. By letting all of the line off of the reel, it cleans the line, stretches it out, if mono - will get it water soaked, and when wound back on the reel will wind on with the perfect amount of force required and will be good for some time before it needs the treatment again.

If when fishing you find that I line is beginning to tangle or snarl - just set that reel aside and use a different reel. Then, when you move to a different spot, let all of the line off the reel as you move to the new spot and reel it back on with no terminal tackle on the line to clean, straighten, and stretch the line for a bunch more use with no issues.

Be safe
Old 05-30-2021, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

REW,

Line conditioner never hurts and it doesn't cost much. Why not use it?
Old 05-31-2021, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Rather than use line conditioner, let all of the line off of your reels as you are on your way to the fishing grounds and let the full length of line pull in the water for an 1/8th of a mile or so. Then, slow down and reel the line back on the reel.

Particularly if the line has not been used for a while, the line may take a "set" from being wound on the reel. By letting all of the line off of the reel, it cleans the line, stretches it out, if mono - will get it water soaked, and when wound back on the reel will wind on with the perfect amount of force required and will be good for some time before it needs the treatment again.

If when fishing you find that I line is beginning to tangle or snarl - just set that reel aside and use a different reel. Then, when you move to a different spot, let all of the line off the reel as you move to the new spot and reel it back on with no terminal tackle on the line to clean, straighten, and stretch the line for a bunch more use with no issues.

Be safe

If line conditioner works for him, why would he waste time following your procedure when he could be using that time to fish?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:11 AM
Minnow

I use KVD line conditioner, and have found it increases casting distance and also helps to avoid line twists.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Nails, because if line conditioner works, removing the line off of the reel and getting the line straight will allow the person to have even better performance from his reel.

Take care
Old 06-08-2021, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

I use Reel magic on the track of my ulterra as well.