Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nungesser Lake Fires - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 07-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Default "Smoke on the water"

We are currently fishing out of Mahkwa at the moment. There has been a lot of smoke on the water here. Appears from wind direction that it was probably from the Nungessor fire. This morning you could hardly see across the lake because of smoke.

There are also fires NE of here, but wind was from the NNW this morning so Nungessor fire was my guess.

Just a thought to add to this conversation.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up -- Same post on related thread.

Greetings,

We just returned from a week of fishing on Stormer and Kirkness Lakes, about fifty miles north of Red Lake. A relatively meek rainstorm passed through the area early last Sunday morning. I heard a few gentle rumbles of thunder about 4:45 a.m. that morning as I left the dock. There was a light rain for about five minutes.

My wife and I noticed a smoke plume about mid-afternoon on Sunday. We promptly returned to the lodge to report the fire The lodge owner immediately called the "fire number" to report the fire and learned that it had been reported minutes earlier by a pilot on a float plane. It wasn't long before a helicopter flew over the lake to follow-up on the reports. I believe this fire morphed into the now famous Nungesser Lake fire.

The curious thing is that we were checked by the MNR just two hours before we or anyone else noticed the fire. The MNR guys apparently didn't notice the fire, or I am sure they would have reported it. The fire went from nothing to a raging wildfire in about two hours.

I learned later that day that the storm spawned six separate fires in the general area that we were fishing. The smell of smoke, haze in the sky and falling ash were intimidating at times.

Our lodge owner was in constant contact with the area fire fighters, such that all lodge guests were updated several times each day with the status of the fires. It was clear to all of us that the wild fires were and still are very dynamic - subject to the weather and prevailing winds. Some of the fires merged into a single fire while other fires split into multiple fires.

We drove past a large burned area as we drove south on Nungesser road on Friday morning. It was a very solemn ride as my wife and I just looked at each other several times. We couldn't think of words that would be appropriate to say.

We sure do hope for the very best for all that are affected by these fires. For those that believe, pray for a long and gentle rain.

Very kindest regards.....
Old 07-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Keeper

Rocky Shore Lodge posted these pictures the other day. The Red Lake area fires are making it a little smokey around here!! Temps are supposed to be in the 80's, but now they are in the high 60's since the sun can't break through!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1562503024366_1562503081084.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	311554   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1562503030927_1562503097198.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	311556  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Minnow

I am supposed to be going into camp at Nungessor next Sat (20th). I am starting to think that my trip will be cancelled.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Default Nungesser

Here's the Facebook page for Birch Point Camp on Nungesser. They appear to have been updating the situation daily (or hourly, in some cases) with pictures and written updates, etc.

Please keep these guys in your prayers. They definitely need some rain.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Birch-Po...=page_internal
Old 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Keeper

Are there any fires on Red Lake ?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 AM
Slot Fish

Lived in Kenora for 15 years and was a Forest Fire Fighter for 5 of those years. I was on hundreds of fires during that time and had sadly witnessed camps, cottages and homes being burnt to the ground along with wildlife being destroyed by the forces of mother nature. Although destructive there is always new life that follows. The forest will return along with wildlife and eventually those who lost their material belongings rebuild and carry on bringing with them the memories of the past.

It is the natural cycle of nature and when living in that environment we must accept the risks that are a part of it. The most important factor is to prevent as best we can the loss of human life,... everything else is secondary.

When you hear of fires in the 10,000 to 100,000 acre range it sounds monstrous in size and though it is a large area when you fly over it at 20,000 plus feet it looks relatively small compared to the entire land mass that surrounds it.

In 1988 I was on a fire north of Red Lake which reached a final size of 350,000 hectares(864,868 acres). It burnt all summer and took out our base camp when the wind suddenly changed direction one afternoon. The fire was fought late into the fall of that year and the following spring it still had sub-surface hot spots that had to be extinguished. Still, when flying over the burnt area it didn't seem to put a dent into the millions of hectares that were still green.

Some 30 years later there are fresh new ecosystems flourishing,

That's life on planet Earth,... the Mother of all nature knows what she's doing.