Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
yacht club trailers any good? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Keeper

Default yacht club trailers any good?

i started a thread here about adding an axle to a single axle trailer. thanks for the advice by the way. am i right in thinking going double axle for better, safer long distance trailering? looking at a yacht club 1844 double axle trailer, new. rated for 18 to 20 boats. mine is a tuffy 1760. anyone have any experience with yacht club trailers? are they quality built or cheaply built?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Keeper

I have a single axle yacht club trailer with a alumacraft trophy 17.5. It’s a 1999. Still in great shape. No rust. Live outside over the summer, inside in the winter. I wouldn’t say it’s anything special but it’s held up well. The fenders are plastic though
Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

Can't help you with Yact Club trailers but MANY guys go to Trailmaster Trailers because of how well they are built and tow. I have had several different trailers over the years and I must say they are the best I have ever owned. Mine has a Line-X coating and the fenders are made out of heavy metal to climb into the boat without any damage done to the trailer fenders.

There is NO need for a double axle trailer for the size of boat you have. And it could work against you. The springs might not be tested enough (boat too light) and thus beat up you boat even more not to mention if you tow on toll roads you will be extra for that extra axle. Plus moving the boat around by hand will be impossible with a double axle trailer. But it's your choice if that's what you desire. Personally I wouldn't do it.

https://trailmastertrailers.com/
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

I had a single axle on my Alumacraft 19`. Plenty of trailer and it was easily maneuverable by one person.. The double axle I have now would require some kind of motorized dolly to move around. For your size boat I'd stick with a single axle.

Marty
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Keeper

thanks guys. im heading to erie again this april and i'll see how it does. ive towed it to sag bay and erie and had to problems but the roads are terrible down there. i live in the pinky finger of mi so its a bit of a haul.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 2003 yacht club ~3000 lb single axle roller trailer under my 18’ aluminum boat. Launches, loads, and pulls nice. Doesn’t rattle or make weird noises.

I bought the package used, but it doesn’t seem to have had any issues. No rust that I can see (tube frame, so who knows what inside of tube looks like) and the paint has held up pretty well.

It has plastic fenders on it. I can stand on them to climb into the boat and have had no issues with their durability. I’m less than 200 lbs though, and I am sure there is some upper limit. A benefit to plastic is they don’t dent and won’t dent your boat in case of a collision during loading.

It has 14” tires on it with plenty of load carrying capacity. And I added brakes to it.

One oddity I’ve found is that the spindles on the axle have a smaller than normal thread for the castle nut. Going from memory mine is a 3/4” thread. Normal 3500 lb bearing kits come with a larger nut...maybe a 1” thread. Not a problem, but it means my castle nuts aren’t hanging on the shelf at every boat and rv dealer. Bearings on mine are same size as normal though, so these are available everywhere.

Another oddity is that the tires are really hard to get on and off the hubs when the trailer is jacked up from the axle. Not enough clearance under the fender. If I jack from the ground to the frame (not easy to do since it’s a long reach) then the axle droops enough to allow the tire to clear under the fender lip.

I feel the single axle is adequate for my 3000 pound rig. I’m not sure where the transition to a tandem would pay off. Would be nice to be able to limp to a Safe repair area on three wheels in case of a blowout or something and a tandem would allow that. In my rig’s case, being close to capacity seems to mean the boat rides pretty soft on there. I’d think a heavier trailer would be more stiffly sprung and ride harshly.

I like my Yacht Club. 100% happy.

Steve
Old 01-25-2020, 04:38 PM
Keeper

Yacht Club is going to be similar to ShoreLand'r. Which means it is on the lower end of trailers.

Things I would look for is how it is set up for brakes, LED lights, what winch it comes with, how many bunks it has, etc. If you are going with a new trailer, and your ramps are not shallow, I would make sure to get a 4 bunk trailer.

An 18' fishing boat is far from needing a tandem axle trailer. Why do you think you need to upgrade? If it doesn't tow well, you could do things like move the winch post to adjust tongue weight, or even put on a bigger axle if needed.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:16 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
Yacht Club is going to be similar to ShoreLand'r. Which means it is on the lower end of trailers.
Wow, really??? you must not have ever owned a Shoreland'r We used to sell both, the fit, finish, and paint was better on the Shoreland'r. Never understood people dissing plastic fenders, they look better in the long run and have steel supports for additional strength.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Hawkeye View Post
Wow, really??? you must not have ever owned a Shoreland'r We used to sell both, the fit, finish, and paint was better on the Shoreland'r. Never understood people dissing plastic fenders, they look better in the long run and have steel supports for additional strength.
No, I have had a Shoreland'r. And a buddy has as well. Neither trailer was set up well. Axles right on the edge of proper weight rating. Only two bunks to support the hull. No LED lights.

Sure, some of that is how it was speced out, but if you look at a Shoreland'r vs a Heritage, Prestige, BoatMate, etc you see how CHEAP they are built.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Hawkeye View Post
Personally, I would NEVER choose plastic fenders over steel fenders. I get in and out of my boat when it's on the trailer by using the fenders. I have also heard about guys that have to replace those cheap plastic fenders when a tire blows on the highway because the tire destroyed them. With my metal fenders I never had any damage to the fenders when a tire blew up.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra