Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bow hunting - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:18 PM
Minnow

Default Bow hunting

There is alot of gun talk in here. Who actually prefers the use of bows? More specifically, compound bows? What do you like about it? Quieter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drop away arrow rest.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	313526  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Keeper

I prefer bow hunting over gun. I used to hunt deer in Minnesota in the rifle zone only until one year some jack *** across the road decided to shoot at a deer running down the road. Eventually I was in his line of sight and a bullet impacted the tree I was in about 10' above my head. That was the day I called it quits and took up bow hunting. I don't go out hunting during gun season but I will go out during muzzle loader season.

I shoot a Bowtech Insanity CPX and I enjoy the peace and quiet in the woods. I hunt public land only now since it is closer to my home so I can go out after work and on the weekends. I enjoy watch the wildlife and just being in the woods.

I also take pride in the fact that bow hunting isn't easy. Yes we can hunt longer but we have to be more tactical in our hunts. Getting a deer to come into shooting range and not being detected is not easy.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:21 PM
Wallhanger

What pj said.

Me personally, it's the peace and quiet, the smell of the freshly fallen leaves, watching 3 young raccoons playing like kids together without them knowing you are there, having an owl land in your tree stand at 4:30 a.m. just a few feet away staring you down, being able to study the deer as it s-l-o-w-l-y works it's way towards you, munching leaves or berries while kicking at the dirt fully aware of it's surroundings, wondering if you'll get the chance to draw or will it for no reason just turn and sprint off without notice, then realizing either way you are thankful for the experience you just had.

But the 2 main reasons for me are, The Challenge and The Tracking. The honor you give the deer after the shot to do everything in your power to find the deer you pulled the release on no matter how long or short of a track it is, how many creeks you have to cross, no matter how many times you have to think like a deer and wonder which trail it took so you can get back on the blood trail after you've lost it for the third time, then finally finding the heavy blood after it finally breaks the arrow off on a tree and then finding it just a few yards ahead laying in the woods........but that's just me. 🙂

Oh, and the adrenaline rush!

Take up bow hunting, you'll be glad you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Keeper

I love being able to spend more time on stand earlier in the fall when staying warm is not a challenge. That, and seeing so much from the stand. Not just deer, but wolves, coyotes, fox, rabbits, squirrels and grouse. Keep a couple of judo-tipped arrows in the quiver for that reason. Have bagged a few squirrels, rabbits, and grouse.

Let me say one more thing. Crossbow is not same. I know those guys fancy themselves bowhunters, but not the same at all. I liked the old laws better where crossbow was for older hunters or those with a disability. Now $3 and away you go.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth517 View Post
I love being able to spend more time on stand earlier in the fall when staying warm is not a challenge. That, and seeing so much from the stand. Not just deer, but wolves, coyotes, fox, rabbits, squirrels and grouse. Keep a couple of judo-tipped arrows in the quiver for that reason. Have bagged a few squirrels, rabbits, and grouse.

Let me say one more thing. Crossbow is not same. I know those guys fancy themselves bowhunters, but not the same at all. I liked the old laws better where crossbow was for older hunters or those with a disability. Now $3 and away you go.

Do you shoot a longbow or a recurve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Keeper

Tate, I shoot a 2019 Mathews Vertix. (Compound) The thing is insane. I think I know where you might be headed with your question, and if so, I agree with you. Shooting a recurve or longbow again ups the game compared to a compound. Not to the level of crossbow vs bow IMO. With any vertical bow compared to a crossbow one still needs to draw while a deer is in close (how many of us have been busted on the draw?) and shoot in a way that is more complex (anchor point, peep, front sight) and prone to small errors-which magnify into bigger problems when shooting at game vs targets. A crossbow is already at full draw and shooting it is akin to shooting a rifle when it comes to aiming. I stand by my original statement. I knew it might invite controversy, that's part of the fun. Here in America we can have a lively, intelligent discussion and ultimately agree to disagree.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

Crossbows are for the elderly and disabled. If they are used in any other form it should be during gun season. There is a huge advantage to having your weapon cocked and being able to steady it on rest.

The name itself tells you it doesn’t belong in bow season. It’s a cross between a rifle and and a bow, therefore should default to the stronger of the two categories.

Just like a rifle, anyone can pick one up off the shelf and be an expert day one. No practice necessary if it’s zeroed. Try that with a vertical bow. Takes practice and time to master a vertical bow, even compound vertical.

The guys who say compound bows don’t belong, well, I get their argument. They have taken even more time to perfect their craft.

I will support any type of hunting as long as it’s legal. Therefore I would like to see crossbows remain illegal during bow season here so that I do not have to support them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Man there are some selfish people here. The number of hunters declines yearly and some of you are belittling people that use a crossbow. Keep pounding your chests about how much better you are since you use a bow. Sad.

If the day comes that I can't draw my bow back I'll definitely buy a crossbow and keep on hunting. Hunters should support each other instead of some thinking they are superior because of the weapon they use.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Wallhanger

Interesting discussion, I'm old school, having gone from a recurve, to a compound, to a crossbow.
Lets put it this way, the compound revolutionized archery hunting, if most compound shooters had to shoot a recurve or longbow instinctive and with fingers, there would be a lot less deer taken with a bow!
Don't believe me, bring a bare recurve or long bow, shoot with fingers, and see if you can outshoot me @ 20-40yds. using my Jennings Arrow Star target bow with stabilizer, counter stabilizers, scope, and a release, we'll keep it friendly, bet a coffee you can't!
Old 11-15-2019, 01:15 AM
Minnow

I like hunting equally with guns, bows, and crossbows. I spent more time and practice with bows and crossbows of different types, I had to do it. I travel all the time, and it is much harder to transport weapons even with a lot of documents than to transport bows in disassembled form or a crossbow with me, for example.

I like quiet hunting, it requires much more strength and tactics than firearms. I also use traps, but this doesn't happen often and when I try to catch something small for eating, like a rabbit.