Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Marine wire connections - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-29-2019, 10:19 PM
Minnow

Default Marine wire connections

I've seen posts where one person will say only use crimp connectors for joining wires and others swear soldering is the only way to go. Posters have stated the crimp style create too much resistance. Others say soldered connections cause wire breakage from the stiffness of the connection and the pounding boats give to contents.
I'm in the process of rewiring my 20 year old Lund and would like to hear from this group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 PM
Wallhanger

Solder, liquid electrical tape, then heat shrink tubing.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:12 PM
Wallhanger

I install wiring for one of the largest commuter rail systems in the country. We crimp all our wire connections. If a quarter million peoples safety every day depends on crimped wires then I feel pretty safe crimping the wires in my boat. Heat shrink the connections.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad NSS12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALI4VR View Post
I've seen posts where one person will say only use crimp connectors for joining wires and others swear soldering is the only way to go.
IMHO Choosing between these to methods is more a choice of which one are you the best at accomplishing? Either method will be just fine if the workmanship is good.

I've seen some pretty sloppy solder jobs that result in a poor connection.

I've seen some pretty sloppy crimp jobs that result in a poor connection.

Use the proper tools, learn the proper technic and either method will serve you well. Sealing the connection against moisture intrusion is a key factor in the service life of the connection. Don't skip that last step.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

While soldering can be considered "old school", you rarely see it used in conditions subject to vibration (cars, boats, trains, aircraft) since if the solder is allowed to wick up the strands, you've essentially made solid-core wire, which will fracture more easily.

That being said, I tend to crimp all of my connections, but I use Ancor-brand terminals almost exclusively, based on their quality compared to what you buy at the local hardware store.

Also, ABYC standards prohibit soldering as the ONLY means of connection. https://abycinc.org/blogpost/1678504...ds--Ed-Sherman

HRG
Old 11-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
While soldering can be considered "old school", you rarely see it used in conditions subject to vibration (cars, boats, trains, aircraft) since if the solder is allowed to wick up the strands, you've essentially made solid-core wire, which will fracture more easily.

That being said, I tend to crimp all of my connections, but I use Ancor-brand terminals almost exclusively, based on their quality compared to what you buy at the local hardware store.

Also, ABYC standards prohibit soldering as the ONLY means of connection. https://abycinc.org/blogpost/1678504...ds--Ed-Sherman

HRG
Good info and I failed to mention in my earlier reply, I usually crimp and then add solder to the crimp connection. (if I choose to take the additional time to do so)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:00 AM
Keeper

I crimp all my connections, what I do differently is remove the plastic tube that comes on them and then use heat shrink tubing

Much faster then solder
Old 12-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Keeper

Crimp, using uninsulated crimp, solder, heatshrink. Using TINNED wire is important no matter which method you use
Old 12-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post

HRG
And to add to this choice Heat Shrink Butt Connector- https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/309103
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

I crimp and then use Marine grade heat shrink. Marine shrink has an adhesive/glue that melts and seals the connection.

I've had good luck with the one listed below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/42-pie...ing-67598.html

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360