Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kicker Autopilot - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-21-2020, 03:44 AM
Keeper

Default Kicker Autopilot

I am looking for a auto pilot for my boat. On my old Pro V I use to run a TR-1 and I loved it but I now see the TR-1 has been discontinued by Garmin. Garmin has a new kicker autopilot out. It is a Reactor 40 for kickers. Does anyone have and experience with one of these? I will be mounting it to a 2020 9.9 pro kicker. Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 PM
Minnow

I am a current TR1 user. I’m looking to move to something that’s not discontinued so I put a similar thread on another site seeking feedback on the new Garmin Kicker AP. I received enough negative feedback on that new Garmin kicker system that I’m going in a different direction. Seastar makes a pricey but well engineered cable steering linkage that makes your hydraulic ram push a cable that turns the kicker. I’m going to put an autopilot on the big motor. I’ve chosen the Raymarine EV150 even though I’m a Garmin fan. I found many good comments for this AP on various fishing sites and it also has the flexibility of adding a rudder feedback (seastar SmartStick) to improve slow speed performance if needed. I’ll have $300 invested in the cable tie to the kicker, $2000 for the AP, and probably another $150 in hydraulic hoses by the time I’m done, but I’ll have a setup that works for both cruising and trolling. If I find I need the optional rudder sensor, that will be another $350. The total cost is going to be comparable to the $2600 for the Garmin kicker setup, but I think I’m going to like it more than just having AP on the kicker. I speculate it will work well with two rudders in the water when running with the kicker only as I’ll leave the big motor down for some and as an extra rudder. If you’re still have your TR1, you might want to look into what they’re selling for on eBay. I watched one go for over $900 used recently. That motivated me to go ahead with the replacement. I’m not going to pull the TR1 off the boat until I have the new setup working well.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Wallhanger

I have the tr1 gold system now. I would not change unless it broke or I got a different boat. I would then buy the reactor system. DGF I think the electric load would be quite a bit with a main motor AP. That’s if you are only running the kicker. I would suggest getting a 15 amp kicker that puts out max 12 amps instead of the normal 6 amp. Even then you might want a two battery one starting one house. Hopefully they are just getting the kinks out of the reactor kicker system.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-30-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I have the tr1 gold system now. I would not change unless it broke or I got a different boat. I would then buy the reactor system. DGF I think the electric load would be quite a bit with a main motor AP. That’s if you are only running the kicker. I would suggest getting a 15 amp kicker that puts out max 12 amps instead of the normal 6 amp. Even then you might want a two battery one starting one house. Hopefully they are just getting the kinks out of the reactor kicker system.
My kicker is a newer Yamaha F15 that supposedly puts out 6.5 amps at 1000 rpm. I do have a dual battery setup, but they are small 24 series batteries. Hopefully I will not draw down too bad. I could run perpetually with the TR1. I think I could get my charging amps up to 10 by running trolling bags and higher RPM. I do this now if it’s rough as the kicker has better steering control at higher RPMs
Old 02-10-2020, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

I do have uncle norms clamp on fins on my kicker motor. It gives you more rudder control. https://unclenormsmarineproducts.com...erformance-fin

I think I used the dolphin fin not other link I posted

When those 24 size battery’s are needing to be replaced. I would go to at least size 27s or 31s if they fit.

Last edited by Snowking; 02-10-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

This is the right link. https://unclenormsmarineproducts.com...n-trolling-fin
Old 02-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Minnow

I have heard good things about the uncle norm’s fins. I always assumed they were expensive, but see that they’re actually pretty reasonable. I have my TR1 set to be pretty non-aggressive and it doesn’t work too hard now, so I’m assuming the new setup won’t have to work very hard either provided I commission it well. Thanks for the real world feedback on the dolphin fin. It provides yet another option if the new setup isn’t performing as well as I’d like.