Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Roller Trailer Capacity - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-19-2021, 06:34 AM
Keeper

Default Roller Trailer Capacity

I’ve tried searching through the forums about Alumacraft and Lund boat trailers, but couldn’t find the weight capacity answer I was looking for….so I thought I would ask. I’m looking to purchase a new boat in the start of next year and have been giving it my due diligence, as it’s my first boat purchase. I’ve narrowed it down to an 1875 Impact XS or Competitor FSX 185. (Wife/2 boys, Canada trips) The one issue I keep seeing is the maximum capacity for roller trailers that both manufactures are offering. They seem to max out at 3,000lb, which is an issue when I estimate the total weigh on each boat. I could be looking at this completely wrong, missing some major items, and wanted some insight.

Example:
1875 Impact XS: 1520#, Merc 150 Pro XS (Wet) 470#, Fuel 227#, Kicker (Merc EFI 9.9) 125#, Batteries (3x AGM G31) 207#, Trolling Motor 80#, Spare Tire 60#, Misc – HB x2, Charger, B.O.S, Anchor, Rope, Fire Ext, Poles, Boxes etc) 170# - Total: 2859lb

I feel that’s cutting it rather close to the maximum weight rating for the trailer. If one person is actually in the boat loading it or you have any extra gear inside, you’ll likely be over. I see that Lund offers a Custom tandem roller trailer, which I assumed would bump it to a 4,000# rating. But Alumacraft doesn’t have this option. The reason I’m looking for a roller vs bunk, is the launch points where we fish in Ontario are shallow and we have constant problems getting the boats (16’ & 18’) into the water. We even bought surfix bunk glides, which worked well until they got any dirt on them. I also have lower back disc problems, so the days of lifting the bow up and forcefully pushing boats into the water are becoming more painful.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
9.9 EFI Tiller
Helix 9 MSI G4N
Helix 7 MDI G3N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

You don't need to accept the trailer that the manufacturer is offering, most dealers sell multiple trailer brands, and will put the trailer you want under the hull you buy.

In fact, both of my Lunds were on trailers that I supplied to the hull-selling dealer. The "package deal" may save a few bucks, but it is more important to get what suits your needs.

HRG
Old 02-19-2021, 01:34 PM
Slot Fish

Glass boats are usually on bunks why, they support the boat better. Downside some think they are harder to load unload. One the aluminum hulls I’ve owned you can see the mark every place a roller has been. Don’t know if that really hurts anything but I don’t like dents and never had a problem w bunks at most launches. Easier to crank up they are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

I have always wondered bout this bunks versus roller supporting the boat better, almost all larger boats 25 plus feet have rollers. Boards bend under weight so in my opinion the only place that gets real support is where the bracket is that holds the boards.

You do not see what it looks like where the bunks contact the boat have a good freind that his aluminum 19 footer sits on bunks. I was helping him load his boat and notice there was hardly any paint left where the bunks slid and made contact with the boat.

Last edited by TomP.; 02-24-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
I have always wondered bout this bunks versus roller supporting the boat better, almost all larger boats 25 plus feet have rollers. Boards bend under weight so in my opinion the only place that gets real support is where the bracket is that holds the boards.

You do not see what it looks like where the bunks contact the boat have a good freind that his aluminum 19 footer sits on bunks. I was helping him load his boat and notice there was hardly any paint left where the bunks slid and made contact with the boat.

Re larger boats on rollers, (Not making a case for bunks, although for any size I am likely to own ,would never go back to rollers)... for the 25 ft + ,,likely a practical issue? In most cases You probably could never float a deep draft 25ft+ boat off a set of bunks? (Unless you intend to launch you tow vehicle with it .)
-
Old 02-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

I'm certainly no expert, but my boat dealer had been selling boats for many years and I asked him about roller trailers giving hulls enough support. He said if the rollers are supporting the hull correctly you should be able to take any roller and turn it by hand while the boat is sitting on the trailer. I could do that on any of the roller trailers that I have owned. He also said the back rollers should be directly under the transom as mine were. Two of those boats were aluminum and one was glass. At my age I doubt I could turn the rollers, but the last three of my boats have come on bunk trailers. I have never seen a dent or depression in a boat hull due to a roller trailer that was set up right.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Keeper

This has all been great feedback and definitely helps. One of the the Lund dealers that I've been looking at also carries Trailmaster trailers. I believe they sit the boat lower due to the angled axles, is that correct?

If so, I would be between a Trailmaster Bunk since it would sit lower, or a shoreland'r custom dual axle roller. I know the general consensus here on WC is that Trailmaster's are quality trailers and give you lots of options.
9.9 EFI Tiller
Helix 9 MSI G4N
Helix 7 MDI G3N
Old 02-26-2021, 06:49 AM
Wallhanger

Wouldn't the bunk trailer give you some grief on those shallow launches you mentioned in your first post ?
I have had ShorLand'r trailers and they were very nice trailers.
I would suggest that you put your mind at ease and get the dual axle roller trailer.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:52 AM
Keeper

A bunk trailer wouldn't be ideal by any means, but I didn't want to rule out any good options unnecessarily. I went through the Shoreland'r parts section and scrolled through the Lund OEM Trailers and found the standard bunk trailer listed for impacts. Then I searched the 4,000lb roller trailers to find the equivalent size roller tandem axle. My concern was as many, is there too much pressure per roller that would dent the hull up on long trips. (1k mile NW Ontario)

There are a few threads here and Anonymouse posted up about the psi per roller, so that got me into researching that end of it. The trailers now days seem to come with 12 sets of rollers per side (24) total. The believe the size of the shorelander roller is about 5x3 roughly, so the estimate seems to be about 1.5 cubic inches of contact per roller. Taking the 3,000lb estimate / 35 (1.5in3 x 24) = 83.33psi per roller.

I agree that that bunk trailers do support the boat weight better. But my back would be more happy with the rollers long term. In time, I figure I'll end up taking the paint off the front bottom of it anyways doing shorelunches, builds character!
9.9 EFI Tiller
Helix 9 MSI G4N
Helix 7 MDI G3N
Old 02-27-2021, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC305 View Post
A bunk trailer wouldn't be ideal by any means, but I didn't want to rule out any good options unnecessarily. I went through the Shoreland'r parts section and scrolled through the Lund OEM Trailers and found the standard bunk trailer listed for impacts. Then I searched the 4,000lb roller trailers to find the equivalent size roller tandem axle. My concern was as many, is there too much pressure per roller that would dent the hull up on long trips. (1k mile NW Ontario)

There are a few threads here and Anonymouse posted up about the psi per roller, so that got me into researching that end of it. The trailers now days seem to come with 12 sets of rollers per side (24) total. The believe the size of the shorelander roller is about 5x3 roughly, so the estimate seems to be about 1.5 cubic inches of contact per roller. Taking the 3,000lb estimate / 35 (1.5in3 x 24) = 83.33psi per roller.

I agree that that bunk trailers do support the boat weight better. But my back would be more happy with the rollers long term. In time, I figure I'll end up taking the paint off the front bottom of it anyways doing shorelunches, builds character!

Some one mentioned Trailmaster now has the Ultimate Bunk boards as an option. Those board give you bunk support but are as slick as rollers. Never had a problem in shallow water where I couldn't float the boat on to winch it up. But just like rollers, you have to keep the chain and winch strap on until you are over water or you WILL dump the boat off the back.

Marty

Tags
capacity , roller trailer