Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
throttle cables - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Minnow

Default throttle cables

I have a 1998 Ranger 692VS with a Yamaha 4stroke 9.9 Kicker and the cables have a kink in them, looking to replace them but don't want to tear everything apart and then order parts and have to wait since I want to use the boat in the meantime.

Can anyone tell me which cables I need??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

SRH.

You likely have a big motor on the boat and it sounds like you have a kicker on the boats.

You have throttle and gear shift cables on your big motor.

Do you have a remote helm for the kicker that need throttle and and gear shift cables replace?

If so - how is it that the cables became kinked?

Is it because the cables were so short that the cables were required to make a sharp right angle bend near the motor? If so, the present cables are too short.

So, if you are talking about the kicker shift and throttle cables that go between the motor and the remote help - measure things out and order replacements.

If you have a remote helm, the cables will come straight out of the helm and will run back toward the stern of the boat. The cables will then go around the corner on the starboard stern corner of the boat. Then, the cables will normally come out of a "boot" somewhat near the corner for their run over to the kicker motor.

-----------------
But, now here is the change - if the cables simply came out of the corner and ran straight to the engines. The problem is that if the cables come straight from the corner and then run straight to the motors, the cables are going to develop a kink due to the flexing when the kicker is turned to maneuver through a corner.

Rather, in between the starboard stern corner of the boat and the engine, the throttle and **** cables should form a 360 degree circle. Then, this circle simply gets smaller and larger as the motor is moved from one side of the steering angle to the other side of the steering angle.

Then, you simply take a tape measure, and start at the remote helm of the boat, to the stern starboard side of the boat, around that corner and then, take the tape through a large circle as required for easy cable movement and then to the engine itself where the two cables will be attached.

Bottom line -- unless an accident happened to create the kink in the cable - you likely have cables that are too short in your boat and the replacement ones need to be 1/2 to 3 - 1/2 feet longer.

Best wishes.

Last edited by REW; 05-18-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

This video speaks to the question of cable length:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJZt8Ke6ak

Near the end of the video - a clear statement is made about overall length:

Measure from the control head, to the corner of the boat. Then from the corner of the boat to the center line of the motor. Then, from the centerline of the boat to the actual motor connections.

Finally - add 4 feet to the above listed measurements to form the loop that I posted previously to insure that you will never kink a cable and always allow for free and easy movement of the motor.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhettick View Post
I have a 1998 Ranger 692VS with a Yamaha 4stroke 9.9 Kicker and the cables have a kink in them, looking to replace them but don't want to tear everything apart and then order parts and have to wait since I want to use the boat in the meantime.

Can anyone tell me which cables I need??
If your rig is a "factory set up" Ranger should be able to help you. If after market, the cables could have come from several different suppliers.

Teleflex is one supplier which makes steering cables as well as throttle/shifter cables.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/t...tions/catalog/

Tags
cable , cables , control , ranger , yamaha