Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Time for new truck tires - looking for some insight - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

Default Time for new truck tires - looking for some insight

My current worn out tires are Michelin's LTX M/S (275 60R20's - I think they're on 9 inch rims) Nice tire for the hwy, but I wasn't thrilled with their performance in the snow. I am thinking about going a little bit different direction. I'm also wondering how "different" the truck will ride and perform if I do. I would love to hear from folks with experience and knowledge when it comes to buying new truck tires. The truck is a '15 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab

Looking at the BF Goodrich KO2 in a size 285 65R20 (it's an E rated tired I believe) and pretty expensive. I think it should perform better in the snow. But I also know it will ride rougher. How much rougher? Is that a no-no to put that big of a tire on a 1/2 ton with no additional lift. S tires to E Tires, how much of a difference with that be???

Also looking at the Cooper A/T 3. I think I can get it in a 285 60R20 (don't think it comes in a 65)

Lastly, Firestone is supposed to be coming out with a couple of new tires they say will be better in snow AND hwy driving than many of their previous models. I do not know much about this one yet.

I don't mind a little bit rougher ride, as my truck with the Michelin's feels like a boat. I drove a 2500 RAM one time on the freeway and almost hit my head on the roof bouncing around at 75 mph - and I don't want that either. I yank a landscape trailer around from April through Oct (about 3500lbs) and my bigger boat a few times a year. I only got 50K miles out of my Michelin's. Not sure if I can get more miles out of the one's listed above. Or if the ride I'd be sacrificing is even worth any additional miles and better traction in snow.

I am hoping to buy them in Oct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
My current worn out tires are Michelin's LTX M/S (275 60R20's - I think they're on 9 inch rims) Nice tire for the hwy, but I wasn't thrilled with their performance in the snow. I am thinking about going a little bit different direction. I'm also wondering how "different" the truck will ride and perform if I do. I would love to hear from folks with experience and knowledge when it comes to buying new truck tires. The truck is a '15 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab

Looking at the BF Goodrich KO2 in a size 285 65R20 (it's an E rated tired I believe) and pretty expensive. I think it should perform better in the snow. But I also know it will ride rougher. How much rougher? Is that a no-no to put that big of a tire on a 1/2 ton with no additional lift. S tires to E Tires, how much of a difference with that be???

Also looking at the Cooper A/T 3. I think I can get it in a 285 60R20 (don't think it comes in a 65)

Lastly, Firestone is supposed to be coming out with a couple of new tires they say will be better in snow AND hwy driving than many of their previous models. I do not know much about this one yet.

I don't mind a little bit rougher ride, as my truck with the Michelin's feels like a boat. I drove a 2500 RAM one time on the freeway and almost hit my head on the roof bouncing around at 75 mph - and I don't want that either. I yank a landscape trailer around from April through Oct (about 3500lbs) and my bigger boat a few times a year. I only got 50K miles out of my Michelin's. Not sure if I can get more miles out of the one's listed above. Or if the ride I'd be sacrificing is even worth any additional miles and better traction in snow.

I am hoping to buy them in Oct.
I have been running firestone transforce AT for the past few years, home and at work. Been decent tires. recently needed some tires for my beater 1988 pathfinder, ending up getting some Ironman from tirebuyer online. Prices were really good, so far really inpressed with ride and traction, we will see how well they wear. Niether will wear as long as those Michelins or BFGs but allot less money.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Bobco, I've been driving a very long time and The BF Goodrich (I think 265-65-17) on a GMC Sierra gave me over 50,000 miles. I don't think I ever got that good of mileage. They did well in the snow and were fairly quiet on the road. I wanted them for my new vehicle and the dealer said they didn't have them in a twenty inch wheel. Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe give these a try. This is what my son runs although they aren’t 20’s. I don’t have any problems with the tire you have been running but I drive a diesel but also have them on the wife’s Yukon.

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/ltx-a-t2
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

I had the Coopers on a truck my son drove and wasn’t overly impressed.
Best I’ve found are Bridgestone Revos . Good ride , not too loud, great traction, and if you keep them properly inflated and rotated they last . Will buy Revos again .
Old 08-21-2019, 05:15 AM
Minnow

I was in your same shoes about a month ago when looking for tires for my 2017 Ram. I narrowed it down to the KO2's, REVO 3's and the Pirelli All Terrain Plus. I went with the Pirelli's and absolutely love them. I do about 80% on road driving so they fit the bill for my needs. If I did more off roading I would probably step into the KO2's as they are a bit heavier duty. The Pirelli's were about $80 a tire less the KO2's and were still aggressive enough to provide great winter traction.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

I would not recommend going to "E" rated tires on a 1/2 ton unless you have to for some other reason (payload/towing). I had them on my F-150.

They will ride noticeably rougher with no load. They are better for towing heavier loads as they feel less "squishy" in the corners.

I have been happy with my Hankook Dynapro AT-M tires. Way better ride than the Goodyears that were on it when I got it.

A very good all-around tire as far as traction, ride, durability and they are cheaper than a lot of others. I will be putting them on again.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM
formerly bigstorm & bigstorm2

I went from Goodyear Wrangler ATS stock size (275 65 R18) to the BF Goodrich KO2's at 275 70 R18 last fall when it was time for new tires. The KO2's are a great tire for snow/dirt/mud but it certainly impacted my mpg by close to 2mpg. Guessing is a combination of going with a little larger tire and also one that was a little more aggressive. The ride is fine (have about 16k on them now)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:26 AM
Wallhanger

I'm not going to recommend a brand... but share a story/let people know of a certification. About 3 years ago i put on some Kumho Road venture AT51's. I put them on because of the reviews on ice and price point as i tow a lot during the winter and didn't want to spend a ton on them.

this past winter in Utah i was out sledding and my buddy pulls up with the same tires on his truck, turns out even though they are all season tires they are snow/ice rated with (3PMSF) certified so they pass as snow/ice tires. He lives in Utah and needs the 3-peak/snowflake certification at times to drive over passes in foul weather.

I've had these on for around 20K, they wear really well, and they GRIP on the ice/snow. Crazy good.

You can get 3PMSF certified tires with the three peak/snowflake symbol on all seasons as an FYI, i haven't researched it much but i'm willing to bet most tire brands offer this performance all-terrain.

food for thought.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2019, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

I recently got a set of KO 2, they suck, I really regret buying them, chunks of rubber are falling off of them,, they are super noisy and wet traction sucks. Really disappointed and I can tell how long I've had them I won't get the mileage out of them I should.

Prior I had Nitto Terra G2, they were awesome, super quiet, unreal traction, and I got 55K out of the and they still had tread left in them when I got them. Super awesome tire, I miss them LOL

Stay away, very overated. Mine are on a 2014 Sierra 20 inch wheels.