Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Battery Optimization System (BOS) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Keeper

Default Battery Optimization System (BOS)

Does anyone have any experience with this Battery Optimization System (BOS) from Dual Pro? See link below- I would be appreciative of any feedback.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...***+091520.pdf
2018 Humminbird Helix 12 SI, G2, Console
2019 HB Helix 10 MDI+ G3N, Bow-mount
2020 MK Ulterra 112 lb. MDI, 36V, iPilot Link, Bow-mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Looks Promising

I was waiting to see if anyone else would jump in and answer this first because I have not run it in the boat yet. I got one of these units very late last spring into early summer. Our boat was already at the lake, so I didn't want to bring it home to install this.

I changed my T/M batteries out this spring to East Penn AGM group 31s. However, my old batteries were not completely shot. I didn't turn them in for core. So I mocked up a T/M battery system on the floor of the garage. I borrowed a spare 3 bank charger from a friend. I used a headlight and my load tester to draw down the various batteries. That way I could monitor the performance of the B.O.S. system. There is no question that this unit does move energy from a higher voltage battery to a lower voltage one.

Based on the theory and what I have seen, there should be no doubt that run time for the T/M should increase. How much ...I don't know yet as I have not run it in the boat. I do believe that drawing the batteries down equally should help to lessen the depth of discharge, Therefore it should also increase the number of cycles the batteries will have remaining.

I found a couple of videos that show what the B.O.S. can do. One is a promotional video from Dual Pro, so I approached that one with a bit of skepticism. Dual Pro has a solid reputation, but this is still a promotional video. The other is from an individual that has a number of videos that are really quite well done. Based of his comments, I am optimistic that this will be a nice addition to the boat. This individual has a number of videos under the title Tiny Boat Nation. They are worth watching as he does a solid job both with the video and his work.

After viewing the video from TBN, which seems to give credibility to this system, I am more willing to believe that the Dual Pro video is not over exaggerated.

One last benefit that I see is that it keeps track of the number of balancing cycles to each battery. This information should help identify a battery that is starting to get weak.

Here is the link to the TBN video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPlbtEBL1Q&t=27s

Here is the link to the Dual Pro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWBeSchn4I
Old 10-22-2020, 04:36 PM
Keeper

Default Dual Pro B.O.S. Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
I was waiting to see if anyone else would jump in and answer this first because I have not run it in the boat yet. I got one of these units very late last spring into early summer. Our boat was already at the lake, so I didn't want to bring it home to install this.

I changed my T/M batteries out this spring to East Penn AGM group 31s. However, my old batteries were not completely shot. I didn't turn them in for core. So I mocked up a T/M battery system on the floor of the garage. I borrowed a spare 3 bank charger from a friend. I used a headlight and my load tester to draw down the various batteries. That way I could monitor the performance of the B.O.S. system. There is no question that this unit does move energy from a higher voltage battery to a lower voltage one.

Based on the theory and what I have seen, there should be no doubt that run time for the T/M should increase. How much ...I don't know yet as I have not run it in the boat. I do believe that drawing the batteries down equally should help to lessen the depth of discharge, Therefore it should also increase the number of cycles the batteries will have remaining.

I found a couple of videos that show what the B.O.S. can do. One is a promotional video from Dual Pro, so I approached that one with a bit of skepticism. Dual Pro has a solid reputation, but this is still a promotional video. The other is from an individual that has a number of videos that are really quite well done. Based of his comments, I am optimistic that this will be a nice addition to the boat. This individual has a number of videos under the title Tiny Boat Nation. They are worth watching as he does a solid job both with the video and his work.

After viewing the video from TBN, which seems to give credibility to this system, I am more willing to believe that the Dual Pro video is not over exaggerated.

One last benefit that I see is that it keeps track of the number of balancing cycles to each battery. This information should help identify a battery that is starting to get weak.

Here is the link to the TBN video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPlbtEBL1Q&t=27s

Here is the link to the Dual Pro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtWBeSchn4I
I appreciate your information and the video links you sent. I thought this system makes sense and hope to hear from others. I’ll watch the video’s and will probably order over the winter- seems to be carried by several places (BPS/Cabela’s, Amazon, FishUSA, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-up after trying the app

Quote:

Over the last few days, I downloaded the app and played a bit more with this on my "mock' set up. I charged the batteries with the 3-bank charger. I unplugged the charger and watched this thing go to work. During my original testing only using my volt meter, I confirmed that this unit really does move energy from one battery to another. However watching what this thing does on the app, gave me a whole new perspective!

I kept my batteries in there original positions (1-2-3), so I already had an idea of which battery might be the weakest. This was based on the time it took to recharge that bank along with the amount of water added to the cells of each battery.

To see a battery pack come off fresh off the charger (now unplugged) all around the 12.6-12.8 range and then watch as the surface charge dropped away. Then the B.O.S. kicked in and started to move energy from the one battery that was sitting around 12.63 to another battery that was now at 12.45 was very interesting. The B.O.S. was increasing the voltage going to the weaker battery. In fact, at one point while I was watching, the voltage went all the way to 14.1 volts (remember the battery charger is now unplugged).

I watched, somewhat amazed at was taking place. This thing identified the weaker battery, and the stronger batteries. It then proceeded to transfer energy (at a higher voltage than anyone of the batteries individually had) to raise up the weaker battery in the pack.

While all of this seems pretty basic, it was really interesting to watch it happen in real time , especially being able to see the graphics on the app. As it turns out, based on what I see with this unit, it confirms my expectations on which battery was the weakest. To be completely honest, before running this while using the app, I thought this might be beneficial to the batteries. Now after viewing the app and watching it work, I am excited to see it in action next spring. I can see where this could be very beneficial, especially in certain applications!
Old 10-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Keeper

Default B.O.S. Further Test Results

Quote:
Over the last few days, I downloaded the app and played a bit more with this on my "mock' set up. I charged the batteries with the 3-bank charger. I unplugged the charger and watched this thing go to work. During my original testing only using my volt meter, I confirmed that this unit really does move energy from one battery to another. However watching what this thing does on the app, gave me a whole new perspective!

I kept my batteries in there original positions (1-2-3), so I already had an idea of which battery might be the weakest. This was based on the time it took to recharge that bank along with the amount of water added to the cells of each battery.

To see a battery pack come off fresh off the charger (now unplugged) all around the 12.6-12.8 range and then watch as the surface charge dropped away. Then the B.O.S. kicked in and started to move energy from the one battery that was sitting around 12.63 to another battery that was now at 12.45 was very interesting. The B.O.S. was increasing the voltage going to the weaker battery. In fact, at one point while I was watching, the voltage went all the way to 14.1 volts (remember the battery charger is now unplugged).

I watched, somewhat amazed at was taking place. This thing identified the weaker battery, and the stronger batteries. It then proceeded to transfer energy (at a higher voltage than anyone of the batteries individually had) to raise up the weaker battery in the pack.

While all of this seems pretty basic, it was really interesting to watch it happen in real time , especially being able to see the graphics on the app. As it turns out, based on what I see with this unit, it confirms my expectations on which battery was the weakest. To be completely honest, before running this while using the app, I thought this might be beneficial to the batteries. Now after viewing the app and watching it work, I am excited to see it in action next spring. I can see where this could be very beneficial, especially in certain applications!
Jak- That is awesome news. I truly appreciate going the extra mile testing this system. I will not hesitate to purchase this winter. Tight lines ><}}}}> ~

Last edited by Lakefront; 10-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

Is the BOS system the same technology as the Power Pole Charge system?

I fished with a couple of pros this season that are using the Charge systems and really like it.

https://www.power-pole.com/charge
Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Keeper

Quote:

What app did you download to test?
Old 10-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakefront View Post
What app did you download to test?
I think it was called the "Pro View Link". I found it on the Dual Pro site.

You need to have a unit to use the app. They use blue tooth to communicate.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:34 PM
Minnow

I'm no sparky but I'm a bit suspicious of the comment that the system was able to put out more voltage than any one of the batteries was measured at. Now not knowing the inner workings of this BOS equipment I believe the only way this would be possible is if the BOS is capable of changing circuits from series and parallel connectivity to accomplish the higher voltage. If that is not the case then this would defy the laws of physics would it not?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzbear View Post
I'm no sparky but I'm a bit suspicious of the comment that the system was able to put out more voltage than any one of the batteries was measured at. Now not knowing the inner workings of this BOS equipment I believe the only way this would be possible is if the BOS is capable of changing circuits from series and parallel connectivity to accomplish the higher voltage. If that is not the case then this would defy the laws of physics would it not?
Fozzbear, If our roles were reversed, I would have probably typed the same note as you did. However, I have had the luxury of actually watching this thing work.

So, here is what I think might be happening .....

Changing from series to parallel lowers voltage in that battery bank. Connecting them in series raises voltage.

And yes, after downloading the app and watching this thing work in real time, I too was surprised that the voltage of the battery receiving the energy had a voltage reading as high as it did. At first during my testing, I was only using my volt meter and I missed the higher voltage during an equalization process. However after using the app and watching this thing work, I can see where it could work well, especially in certain applications.

I don't know the inner workings either. I suspect however, that they use some sort of a step up transformer? If so, They are using a small amount of energy to boost voltage to a level they have determined is needed to charge the lower battery at a level that actually "charges" the battery. By this I mean that rather than using a passive energy transfer, they are actually forcing the energy back out of the lead plates into the battery solution. If so, then this means they are actually charging the lower battery when a cycle takes place. IMHO, this would be much preferable to doing just a passive transfer of energy to equalize all of the batteries.

I know I was amazed the first time I saw this taking place! I had to sit down and think about how it could be accomplished. I came up the the idea of a step up transformer based on what is done with AC voltage in power lines. I know it can not only be a series-parallel switching process because at times it is only drawing energy out of one battery. Thus they could not have a voltage reading higher than the highest battery in that connection unless the were "stepping up" the voltage.

BTW, I am not a sparky either! But I hope some of this makes sense?