Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
NRX Series Rod Modification - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 11:57 AM
Gary Korsgaden Gary Korsgaden is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Park Rapids, Minnesota
Posts: 3,593
Default NRX Series Rod Modification

Would like to extend the end of the rod handle by 10" to 12". What I need is a 1/2" ID carbon-fiberglass hollow tube to accomplish this. Looked in Mudhole they have them but the diameter is .92" ID. My last resort is EBAY from China. Does anyone have any other sources...thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Hot Runr Guy Hot Runr Guy is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Chicago, IL, USA.
Posts: 15,597

Something like this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kevlar tube .50.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	329058  
"I've got a car with a trailer hitch, and a pocket full of money. Do you want to sell that boat today, or not?"
My Mentor, Bill Michalek, circa 1975
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Gary Korsgaden Gary Korsgaden is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Park Rapids, Minnesota
Posts: 3,593
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Something like this?

yes like this
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 06:43 PM
bfish bfish is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SE TN
Posts: 1,012

I would call Utmost Enterprise and see if they have something.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:47 PM
Bill Krejca Bill Krejca is online now
Charter Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Robins, Iowa, US.
Posts: 5,351

Go to a few garage sales and find/
buy a heavy enough fish pole for a couple bucks. And cut to fit.


Last edited by Bill Krejca; 09-05-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Clarify
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:06 AM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 38,949

I have extended many many fishing rod blanks.

I always use another rod blank that fits tightly up inside the current blank.
Remove the butt cap of the rod in question.

Take a sacrificial rod and cut all of the guides off the rod. Also, use a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel to slice the reel seat on each side. Then insert a wide bladed screwdriver into the slots cut by the dremel and twist the screwdriver. This will split the reel seat and allow it to come free. Then, use a heat gun to heat up any remaining glue to soften it and use a single edged razor blade held at 90 degrees to scrape off any glue and finish left on the rod blank. With the current rod butt removed, use a caliper to measure the id of the inside of your rod that you wish to extend. Then, transfer that measurement to the parts rod blank to get an idea of where you want to be when finished. The idea is to take the parts rod blank and trim it in such a fashion that the parts blank will fit up inside the rod to be extended by 5-6 inches or more. To start, you want to err on the side of a smaller parts blank by making the initial trimming of the parts blank by 6 inches or more further up the blank. Remember, you can continue to trim more and motor off the parts rod. But, if you make one cut too much, you will have to start over again.

When doing this - after getting the general idea of where I am going to be cutting the parts rod, I will use the heat gun to soften the finish on the parts rod and use the razor blade to scrape all of the finish off the parts rod so that when one does the final assembly one will have a nice receptive surface for the epoxy used to glue the rod blanks together. Or, if you only want this to be a temporary handle - and if you extend the parts blank up a foot or so into the new rod - you will not really need to use any glue. Just firmly insert the grip and use a layer of wide tape to hold the two parts together.

The big advantage of using a fishing rod blank for the grip extension is that you want to use a parts fishing rod that has a taper similar to the new rod so that you will get a nice tight friction fit for the full length of the inner outer fit of the parts grip extension.

You could even get lucky and be able to use the current grip on the parts rod to have it be part of the new rod.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.