Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you prefer fishing for fewer bigger fish or more smaller fish? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
I'm 100% catch and release (unless the fish is damaged in the process) so I would fish for days for the one big fish vs numbers. But to do that I need to be alone as most others want some action.
Yeah, sometimes it becomes a trade-off between what to fish for and what company to keep while fishing. Variety is good, anyway.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

I like to catch at least "keeper" size fish because they're mature and have been around long enough that catching one is at least something of an accomplishment. I don't think of keeper or near keeper size as being big, there should be lots of those in any system. Catching undersized fish is disappointing even though I rarely keep anything.

Sizes my most sought after fish start to get into the big range, ()=definitely big. Some are heavy bodied and qualify at the lower range.

bluegill/sunfish 8" (10")
bass - SM or LM 17" (19")
walleye 20" (23")
trout 18" (20")
Old 09-28-2021, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

it was fun catching limits on the western basin. but when I fished the central basin it was nothing to catch 5# to [email protected] fish and I was hooked. a few yrs ago it was work for us to get 15 of those big fish. them we had the great hatches recently. it was so much fun sorting fish getting a limit of legal fish. so if I'm getting a few big fish that's what I fish for. but on the other hand, it was nice getting limits again. now a lot of those small fish have grown up and weighed 3 1/2 to 4 pounds. in close, the small fish are still abundant. but too much work using divers. so we fished way out for the bigger fish. so I guess for the most part I'm a big fish guy.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:11 PM
Keeper

Hmmm.

I think I prefer numbers.

I recently hiked down into a canyon to fish the Rio Grande in Colorado, and it was a long hike. About 9000 ft of elevation, 4 miles in. Normally I catch a dozen to 18 fish on a hike like that. I caught two... one 14" rainbow, and a 20" fat cutthroat that was a complete stud of a fish. Caught on a dry fly and he took me for a hike and used up some backing in the fast water.

That cutthroat was a personal-best cut for me.

Still, after the day was done, I felt as though the day was more "meh".

I have made long hikes to go fish back country streams before, and would catch 80 brook trout, none of which were over 12" long. I love those days.
I've never caught a fish I didn't like.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:05 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=buckmaster7600;6598746]It totally depends on what I’m fishing for, trout/salmon I would rather catch one big one over a bunch of small ones. Walleye don’t fight so I’d rather catch 20 smaller ones than one 5lb’er.

Granted Walleye don't fight like salmon but if you spent a day with me on Lake Ontario, you would probably change your mind about Walleye not fighting, our average fish is 7-8 Lbs.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 09-30-2021, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Do you prefer fishing for few bigger fish or more smaller?

When the grandkids and wife are with me, I am fine with more fish. If alone, it's nice to catch legal size keepers and bigger fish for sure.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1850 View Post
When the grandkids and wife are with me, I am fine with more fish. If alone, it's nice to catch legal size keepers and bigger fish for sure.
When youngsters are along, it's definitely time to focus on numbers rather than size. Some of my favorite memories as a child were from annual get-togethers with a whole bunch of my cousins where our parents would put out a few large washtubs along the bank of the Sauk River near St. Cloud, MN and tell us kids to fill them with as many bullheads as we could catch over the course of the afternoon. They'd keep tabs on us while we fished and then they'd clean and fry up all of the fish for a picnic dinner for all of us. Awesome times - and I didn't even like any of my cousins!

Gerry
Old 09-30-2021, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Yellow Fever;6600308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster7600 View Post
It totally depends on what I’m fishing for, trout/salmon I would rather catch one big one over a bunch of small ones. Walleye don’t fight so I’d rather catch 20 smaller ones than one 5lb’er.

Granted Walleye don't fight like salmon but if you spent a day with me on Lake Ontario, you would probably change your mind about Walleye not fighting, our average fish is 7-8 Lbs.

I walleye fish Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence regularly, I’ve caught plenty of big walleye but I still don’t think they fight and I would rather eat 2lb’rs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2021, 09:25 AM
Slot Fish

It depends on the species of fish, and the viewpoint of the fisherman. I do not think there is a right or wrong answer, if BOTH are within their legal limits
If I am fishing for Salmon, I prefer numbers. Some people want that trophy fish, the legendary 30+ pound fish, and are chasing them as trophies. Some people want to EAT, I prefer to EAT them.
He/she can go fish for his/her 30+ fish, I can go fish for my average 10 to 15# fish. If I catch my limit of smaller fish, say each was 10#, I have 50# of Salmon, vs the 1 fish trip of a 30#’er.
In comparison, one trip of 3 fish equaling 30, is better then 3 trips for 1 fish of 30#, however, that is only MY opinion. I want them to eat them.
This has been discussed allot over here in Michigan, as the mid summers SUCK for Kings, on Lake Michigan. I have a friend who goes over to Lake Ontario, and its like a whole different fishery, and loaded w/ fish.
Walleye, I am of the same opinion. My wife likes Walleye, I prefer to come home with some, doesn’t need to be a trophy, just needs to be eatable. Again, within the legal limits
Crappie, I prefer all numbers, the reason is that Crappie is when I take my kids of/when they go, I like them to stay busy and occupied, no matter how small.
Again, I think it all breaks down to individual preference, and viewpoint of the fisherman.

I had a buddy who scoffed at me for shooting a Doe, however, he had no issue’s assisting in eating the Summer Sausage I had made. He went “Deer-less” I had food. I shared, but reminded him, there is no recipe for antlers. As a joke, he then invited me over and had a few deer tines in a pot boiling for our dinner.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaEagle View Post
It depends on the species of fish, and the viewpoint of the fisherman. I do not think there is a right or wrong answer, if BOTH are within their legal limits
If I am fishing for Salmon, I prefer numbers. Some people want that trophy fish, the legendary 30+ pound fish, and are chasing them as trophies. Some people want to EAT, I prefer to EAT them.
He/she can go fish for his/her 30+ fish, I can go fish for my average 10 to 15# fish. If I catch my limit of smaller fish, say each was 10#, I have 50# of Salmon, vs the 1 fish trip of a 30#’er.
In comparison, one trip of 3 fish equaling 30, is better then 3 trips for 1 fish of 30#, however, that is only MY opinion. I want them to eat them.
This has been discussed allot over here in Michigan, as the mid summers SUCK for Kings, on Lake Michigan. I have a friend who goes over to Lake Ontario, and its like a whole different fishery, and loaded w/ fish.
Walleye, I am of the same opinion. My wife likes Walleye, I prefer to come home with some, doesn’t need to be a trophy, just needs to be eatable. Again, within the legal limits
Crappie, I prefer all numbers, the reason is that Crappie is when I take my kids of/when they go, I like them to stay busy and occupied, no matter how small.
Again, I think it all breaks down to individual preference, and viewpoint of the fisherman.

I had a buddy who scoffed at me for shooting a Doe, however, he had no issue’s assisting in eating the Summer Sausage I had made. He went “Deer-less” I had food. I shared, but reminded him, there is no recipe for antlers. As a joke, he then invited me over and had a few deer tines in a pot boiling for our dinner.
Oh, I'm with you on deer hunting! There are way too many in most of the north country (and they're very tasty), so I encourage everyone to take as many as they legally can.

And I understand where you're coming from on fishing, too; I just lean strongly in the other direction most of the time. Once in a while, though... even without any kids along it's a lot of fun to grab the ultralight gear and see how many crappie or sunfish I can catch for the freezer.

I suppose that dinner tasted like bone broth?...

Gerry