Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Great Trip To Temple Bay- Eagle Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 09-24-2021, 02:05 PM
Keeper

Default Great Trip To Temple Bay- Eagle Lake

My wife and two 20ish year old sons returned from our first trip to Temple Bay last Saturday. We fished 9/12- 9/17, and had a terrific time. The fishing was excellent and the folks at Temple Bay were even better. I was always a bit hesitant to try Temple Bay because of the volume of business I assume they do. I'm sure things are much busier there in June and the summer, but for our week, we were as remote as we wanted to be.

Crossing the border was a piece of cake. As there were four of us going, I was heavily stressed about the PCR tests. The "asymptomatic positive" possibility was haunting me. All four of us went to Walgreens around 4 pm and, one by one, the negative test results were received by email- major celebration. The border guard was awesome. He asked for an ID from my younger son and my vacc card, no problems (the return crossing was equally simple).

As this was our first trip to Temple Bay, we had to do some figuring out beginning Sunday afternoon. I'll start by saying I should have targeted weed lines earlier in the week. It didn't take long to find numbers of mostly smaller Walleye in 20 - 34 feet (we even had a quadruple-header). The boys went out with a Musky guide on Monday, leaving my wife and I to explore. When I received a text message w photo around 9 am, I figured they got their first. It turned out it was a beautiful 34" pike, which they followed up with a 38" pike. No Musky though, but they loved the guide. Unfortunately for me, I lost a large fish after a 30 second fight- the line went slack and much to my disgust, I retrieved a failed clasp. It really bothers me to think of a beautiful fish swimming with a Johnson Silver Minnow in its mouth.

We had mostly great fishing every day, finding our best action on reefs- much more than points and rock piles. Only had rain one day, which was a couple hours of a storm with lightening. Friday was really windy. We decided to get out early and be the first on Viking Reef. The water was so rough though, we found some peace and action in Smith Bay. Coming back we were hammered again by the waves, so we decided to give Temple Bay a shot -mostly to get out of the wind. As my sons and I slow trolled and casted, my wife dragged a jig in 6-8 ft of water. Within five minutes she caught a 20" and a 24" Walleye. We all had good success with pike. It was a great way to close the fishing week.

I want to share a personal story about Jeff from Temple Bay. My wife is in a wheelchair (MS). When we showed up the first day he was beside himself that he didn't know about it as he really wanted to do anything he could to help with accommodations. As we are accustomed to finding ways to make it work, a regular cabin with narrow doorways wasn't an issue for us, but Jeff really wanted to help. Jeff offered to have us stay at their beautiful, newly constructed Eagle's Nest lodge, which included full handicapped accessible bathrooms and showers. As crazy as it sounds, I declined his generosity- but asked permission for my wife to at least use the facilities there. Absolutely.
Well, we went out fishing that morning after I told Jeff we'd stay in the original cabin. Upon our return to camp and the cabin, we find Jeff had built a ramp over the stairs, allowing my wife to drive her chair from the walkway right into the cabin. Unbelievably accommodating.

A definite two-thumbs up for Temple Bay, as well as for Eagle Lake. I've read other posts speaking of how pretty the lake is, they are absolutely right. So much undeveloped shoreline and so many places to fish.

Lastly, a big shout out to Ricky Spanish- he went way out of his way to help with spots and advice. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2021, 10:57 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Awesome report & amazing service! May have to give Temple Bay a try in the future!
RBF
Old 09-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Great report. Iím glad everyone enjoyed the trip. It sounds like Temple Bay is a class act
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2021, 05:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default great story

It's ALAWAYS great to hear/read about people who "go out of their way" to do the right thing.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad I could help. Jeff's always gone out of his way for us, too. Loaned me a Helix 9 when mine wouldn't boot up one day one. Then picked up a new one for me in Kenora a couple days later after Humminbird wasn't able to help me get mine going.