Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best Trolling Rig For Walleye? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Keeper

Depends on the body of water and season.

Big water, like Lake Erie/Ontario would be somewhat different than inland lakes due to greater depths and more suspended walleye schools. You can also run 2 rods on the great lakes, but not on inland lakes (at least in Ontario).

I fish inland lakes pretty much exclusively. So no down-riggers, dipseys, planar boards or wire etc. Trolling is often my last choice though.

This is what I use when I troll:

Lindy rigs I like to use for drift fishing. They are amazing. The issue I have is that the death rate is much higher, so I select Lindy rigs when I want dinner fish. Good for backtrolling too.

Slow death rigs are great to troll with. While a piece of crawler is great, plastics can perform just as well. So, when I don't feel like using meat this is a great option. I use Berkley pinched crawlers or Berkley Gulp fry (not the Gulp Alive version). There are probably others that work great.

Standard spinner rigs with meat. Can't really go wrong with these. Very versatile. Can troll at any depth with the appropriate weighting system - inline, clip-on, pencil weights or bottom bouncers. Can use a slow-death hook or floating jig as well, depending on circumstance.

Crankbaits are great too. Especially in the fall. I like the Rapala Deep Taildancers for this as they go down to 30/40 FOW without weights. Just depends on target depth. Standard baits running 6 to 12/15 feet can be great too. Just not my thing, but they definitely work and are great for covering a lot of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2021, 08:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
Depends on the body of water and season.

This is what I use when I troll:

Lindy rigs I like to use for drift fishing. They are amazing. The issue I have is that the death rate is much higher, so I select Lindy rigs when I want dinner fish. Good for backtrolling too.

I don't think the OP said where he was fishing unless I missed it. Some waters have specific techniques that work better.

I agree the death rate of Lindy can be higher but that is because people feed line I think. I experienced that also however the fix is a single hook don't feed line, set the hook. If the fish want's it set the hook.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 07-08-2021, 08:48 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Longline Shad raps and flicker Shad.
Also bottom bouncers with spinner rigs and whatever bait or soft plastic you prefer.
Those are my go-to rigs for reservoirs out west.
Your mileage may vary depending on where, when, how, and why you fish.
Without any insight on the above, the recommendations you’ll get here will be of limited use.
Knowing the forage base in the lake is key. Start with a DNR search to look for forage base if available. Or I would troll a mix of Flicker Minnows and Flicker Shad or Shad Raps or Husky Jerks or Tail Dancers until you pattern the long skinny bait like alewife vs the chunky shad shape. Mid Summer out in the deep basins on a bigger (1000-2000 acre) clear lake looking for bait balls and then vary the size and therefor depth that the baits run. Those cranks run well at 2.5 -3.0 as the bait is where you find it, that speed allows for you to cast a wide net.

Last edited by grindstone; 07-08-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: clarify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2021, 11:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I don't think the OP said where he was fishing unless I missed it. Some waters have specific techniques that work better.

I agree the death rate of Lindy can be higher but that is because people feed line I think. I experienced that also however the fix is a single hook don't feed line, set the hook. If the fish want's it set the hook.
Could be. For me, I think I might have a harder time feeling when they bite. By the time I do, the rig is often inhaled deep. Probably the same with any slow finesse type presentation. Experience would probably help. While I use Lindy rigs, I primarily jig and pull out Lindy rigs/spinners when jigging is unproductive.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:52 AM
Keeper

OP hasnít checked back in, so maybe he was just experimenting with trolling?
Old 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the advice! I guess the topic is a lot more complicated than I had thought, but I had to start somewhere, so gave the bottom bouncer plus crawler harness a shot. Took me several tries, but last weekend I finally landed my first walleye on it! Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyenovice1 View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I guess the topic is a lot more complicated than I had thought, but I had to start somewhere, so gave the bottom bouncer plus crawler harness a shot. Took me several tries, but last weekend I finally landed my first walleye on it! Thanks again for all the replies!
where are you fishing maybe I can help? don't be afraid to message me with questions. like speed and the best way to get down below 2.0 mph with harnesses even slower with cranks in early spring at 1.5 or below. as the water warms the speed increases up to 3.0 mph in summer then slows as fall rolls around with cranks. spoons are better in late spring through the summer. my best speed with spoons has been 2.7 to 3.0. good fishing to you and your crew.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
Could be. For me, I think I might have a harder time feeling when they bite. By the time I do, the rig is often inhaled deep. Probably the same with any slow finesse type presentation.

Tie your own rigs with circle hooks. No hook setting needed, just start reeling. The hook will slide out to the mouth and hook in the jaw. On crawler spinners I use a 2-hook rig and half a crawler. Leeches, a single hook rig with a spinner or a floater pegged or glued about an inch above the hook.

Read your owner's manual.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:36 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
Tie your own rigs with circle hooks. No hook setting needed, just start reeling. The hook will slide out to the mouth and hook in the jaw. On crawler spinners I use a 2-hook rig and half a crawler. Leeches, a single hook rig with a spinner or a floater pegged or glued about an inch above the hook.
That's a great idea! Will do this going forward.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

If I only have one rig it would be ddhj 12s in Firetiger, Hot tiger, and Silver. Have fished them inland and on Erie. Behind boards from 10 ft back to 120. From 0.8sog to 2.6. Was running mixed spread with harnesses 2 days ago on Erie a hot tiger caught 3 of the biggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_161057_1626477648466.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	327968