Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Power Pole charge - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-21-2021, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
How many amps is your trolling motor putting out at trolling speed/rpm?
Best i can find is 56 amp total, net dedicated, doesnt give me a breakdown

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

I think clawman meant your gas kicker motor. Normally either max 6 amps or 12 amps max. Maybe 2 to 4 amps trolling speed? On my minnkota alternator charger you are not allowed to use it with a kicker. Kicker amp output not high enough. Warnings on that in the directions. Plus wire on the main motor ignition switch will not turn it on. Unless main motor is running. I am not sure how the power pole charge shuts on and off. If it does not have a sensing wire. Unless you have to hit the red button on the unit to shut it off for storage.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-22-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
I think clawman meant your gas kicker motor. Normally either max 6 amps or 12 amps max. Maybe 2 to 4 amps trolling speed? On my minnkota alternator charger you are not allowed to use it with a kicker. Kicker amp output not high enough. Warnings on that in the directions. Plus wire on the main motor ignition switch will not turn it on. Unless main motor is running. I am not sure how the power pole charge shuts on and off. If it does not have a sensing wire. Unless you have to hit the red button on the unit to shut it off for storage.
Thanks for your reply, that is my gas kicker motor (15 HO Etec) that s what i pulled from their info but it doesn't give me a breakdown on output per RPM settings. If it actualled charged my batteries while i was running my kicker at trolling speeds that would be pretty good.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:52 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Yamaha 9.9 kicker...

If it's sitting at idle I see nothing. I do have to be trolling to see anything worth a darn to get good amperage.

I do wish I had the new 9.9 EFI Mercury or the 15... It would be better.

But I will say this. Do I feel like this hampers anything???? NOPE! While you're running spot to spot your batteries are getting good power so I have yet to come close to running out of juice and I have way more electrical stuff in my boat than most would ever even think about having. That's not a brag at all, its just testing products and what not, I have accumulated a lot of stuff and everything runs mainly off my 31 Odyssey with no issue.

The E Start on the Charge again just gives me piece of mind.
NPAA #803
Old 03-23-2021, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMesserschmidt View Post
I have a Yamaha 9.9 kicker...

If it's sitting at idle I see nothing. I do have to be trolling to see anything worth a darn to get good amperage.

I do wish I had the new 9.9 EFI Mercury or the 15... It would be better.

But I will say this. Do I feel like this hampers anything???? NOPE! While you're running spot to spot your batteries are getting good power so I have yet to come close to running out of juice and I have way more electrical stuff in my boat than most would ever even think about having. That's not a brag at all, its just testing products and what not, I have accumulated a lot of stuff and everything runs mainly off my 31 Odyssey with no issue.

The E Start on the Charge again just gives me piece of mind.
Chris;
I haven't been able to get a straight answer from JLMarine. Is the total output 40 amps or 65 amps? Are you familiar with the DualPro B O S system? If so is this the same?
Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Chris;
I haven't been able to get a straight answer from JLMarine. Is the total output 40 amps or 65 amps? Are you familiar with the DualPro B O S system? If so is this the same?
40 amps of charging power to the cranking battery and up to 25 amps to the trolling batteries

Sorry Yellow Fever I am not familiar with that DualPro model. I will look into it though.
NPAA #803
Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 AM
Wallhanger

First trip of the year and got 6 hours running time on my Ulterra, (running at 5) this is with the stock group 31 batteries that came with the boat (Ranger 621) i am going to purchase the Charge unit today. And hopefully it will work out .

Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 AM
Minnow

I have a minnkota mk 2 dc for my two trolling motor batteries and a mk 1 dc for my house battery. Outboard is a new mercury 150 4 stroke. Everything seems to work perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB76F20B-E731-4FA9-842C-C01EB02E61D1_1617023592313.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	325266  
Old 03-29-2021, 07:24 AM
Minnow

This is helpful to get an idea of run time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEA2EDB4-EBD1-4B43-BD29-F0023C4C5783_1617024276602.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	325268  
Old 04-03-2021, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

First trip out today with the Power Pole Charge, I split the charging between the starting battery and the TM batteries, usually on the graph it shows 13.5 and today it was 12.2 Trolled for 3.5 hours and when I got back and plugged in the charger the TM batteries read 90% > I am very happy with that on my initial trip. Love the app integration.