Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 2018 621FS versus 2011 621VS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 12-18-2021, 07:41 AM
Minnow

Default Ranger 2018 621FS versus 2011 621VS

Hello WC Members, I am considering moving from my VS to a FS. I am looking for feedback from people who have owned both versions. My MAIN question is comparing how the FS handles, compared to the VS. I troll big water 95% of the time (Erie and Green Bay). Are there any noticeable differences in rough water, flat water, etc? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2021, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Welcome to Walleye Central.

Send a message to Juls, she is a moderator here. She also guides on Erie and has run Rangers as long as I can remember. She will be your source for info on big water.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:47 PM
welll

I had both versions. My feeling is that the hull difference was insignificant. Full disclosure: not a huge troller, I am talking about running the hull on plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2021, 08:49 PM
welll

Quote:
Originally Posted by welll View Post
I had both versions. My feeling is that the hull difference was insignificant. Full disclosure: not a huge troller, I am talking about running the hull on plane.

adding: The newer hull is slower +- 3mph on average.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

I've had both. The FS handles better, is significantly higher and less prone to spearing while trolling and definitely faster by alot. Some of the speed is due to the higher horsepower rating which that 21 foot boat greatly needed.
Its also has more cockpit space, better seats, drier front deck, interior lighting.
I would not want to go back to a VS. Not saying there is anything wrong with them at all but my FS is a big improvement.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:11 AM
Wallhanger

You will love it, I have more energy after 12 hours of trolling than I did when I got in it in the morning. absolute dream.

now get/order it and post pics please!!
Old 12-19-2021, 10:56 AM
Slot Fish

Hi, I have had both and currently have 2020FS.

In general I would prefer the older hull for my style of fishing which is predominantly fishing SMB on ML. The boat is on a lift so I pretty much am forced to fish in all conditions with ML being pretty windy most of the time.
The FS sits much flatter in the water, by that I mean the bow is not up as it was with the VS. However what happens to me is that I spot lock into the wind and cast to rock/etc out the back of the boat. The FS takes water over the bow a lot more than the FS and if your trolling slow which I do some for walleyes, I find the waves over the front to more than the FS. The other thing about the VS is that it slaps the water really hard with the wave action and is very noisy. I think the shape of the FS hull traps water causing the slapping. The VS I believe is more of a true v-hull and thus didn't slap the waves. Running on plane I don't notice much of a difference. I would like to have an VS hull with new motor.
Old 12-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
Hi, I have had both and currently have 2020FS.

In general I would prefer the older hull for my style of fishing which is predominantly fishing SMB on ML. The boat is on a lift so I pretty much am forced to fish in all conditions with ML being pretty windy most of the time.
The FS sits much flatter in the water, by that I mean the bow is not up as it was with the VS. However what happens to me is that I spot lock into the wind and cast to rock/etc out the back of the boat. The FS takes water over the bow a lot more than the FS and if your trolling slow which I do some for walleyes, I find the waves over the front to more than the FS. The other thing about the VS is that it slaps the water really hard with the wave action and is very noisy. I think the shape of the FS hull traps water causing the slapping. The VS I believe is more of a true v-hull and thus didn't slap the waves. Running on plane I don't notice much of a difference. I would like to have an VS hull with new motor.

I just bought an 07', 620 with a 2020 etec g2, I think I'm gonna like it!!
Old 12-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Keeper

The FS has a deeper keel for cutting waves, so it should handle rough water better, at least on plane. A side effect is that the FS is slower than a VS if both had the same motor. I fished with someone that had a 2011 620VS with a 250. He upgraded to a 2020 620FS with a 300. His new boat is still a couple mph slower than the old one, even with the extra power.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

The only thing that beats the FS is the new FS pro. Don't be fooled.