Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mississippi River flood stage - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Keeper

Default Mississippi River flood stage

The river at Burlington, Iowa will be at 21 ft. on Oct. 14th. This is 6 ft. over flood stage. It looks like the river fishing for me will be over as I don't like being on the river when it is that high. The all time record is 25.7 ft. If they get some more big rains north of us it go higher than 21 ft. ( I hope not)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River stage_NEW.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	304852  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 04:37 AM
Keeper

Iowa River is almost over the hiway north of town here. Went to Iowa City yesterday and every ditch, creek, and river was out of its banks. All that has to get down here yet...
Old 10-09-2018, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

We got more than plenty coming down to you from Wisco too.

Rivers are flooded, farmers can't get in the fields, and we got more rain coming today and tomorrow.

I haven't had the boat in the water for a while...just too much current/chocolate milk to fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Crossed the WI river 3 times today, it is high with more on it's way. If it rains in WI with the exception of the far east and far north all that water heads down the WI and ends up in the Miss.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Wallhanger

To add to that, I live in Omaha. Since the end of June the Muddy Mo has been running high with a couple of times out of its banks. The corp has been trying to empty some of the water out of the dams up the river. Out of the last dam is Lewis and Clark Lake, they are emptying 60,000 CFS. By the time it is just South of Omaha it is at 90,000 cfs. I don't see the corp stopping until close to December 1st. On top of that the rains around here have not stopped either. Good Luck! Joe
Old 10-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

it looks like after today we get a break from all this rain for at least 10 days. hopefully the gatemasters just flush it all away as fast as possible.

we moved in the spring and so fishing was non existant for me. and i basically busted my hump all summer with projects around the house to make way for the ability to fish a lot more in the fall. AAAAAAnd here we are.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Slot Fish

Since sunday evening we've had over 4" of rain here in Red Wing (pool 4) and they've had nearly as much to the north and south... unfortunately I'm betting the water will come up even more down there with all the rain we've had in the past month.

The forecast here shows it coming up steadily for the next week - over 3 feet with no crest on the graph. Usually the forecast is a bit higher than what we actually see, but it's definitely coming up.

Good luck - fall fishing was just getting good here - may have to try to wrangle up some big chubs and switch to the spring live bait pattern!

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	river.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	304874  
Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Wallhanger

Be ready down south the Wisconsin river is pretty high and flowing in our area