Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ulterra Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Minnow

Default Ulterra Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and recently bought a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850. I'm removing the old electronics and putting together prices on upgrading everything. I have an opportunity to get a used Ulterra Gen 1 and I am looking for input on whether its worth $800 more to have a brand new Gen 2 unit which would have the better spot lock. I know the seller and trust them so that's not a concern of buying used in this case. I've heard the Gen 1 is more of an "area lock" and not so much a spot lock. I mostly fish live bait and troll around Lake Sharpe and Lake Francis Case.

I hope to get my boat wet 10 times this year so I am trying to justify the $800 additional cost right now for the better spot lock and new unit. I haven't seen any used Gen 1 Ulterra's that are 112 lb 36 v with i pilot link to see if people are discounting them since apparently Gen 2 units are better. Any input you have would be great. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

Schell,

I'm sure you are aware of all the other benefits of the newest Ulterra so I won't go into them. Of course, $800 X 10 times a year = $80 each time. Keeping it for 10 years would be $8 each time which would be at least 100 opportunities to kick yourself for not spending the extra $8 for each outing to get all of the latest features. Choose wisely.

andersaki
Old 01-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schell21 View Post
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and recently bought a 2005 Ranger Reata 1850. I'm removing the old electronics and putting together prices on upgrading everything. I have an opportunity to get a used Ulterra Gen 1 and I am looking for input on whether its worth $800 more to have a brand new Gen 2 unit which would have the better spot lock. I know the seller and trust them so that's not a concern of buying used in this case. I've heard the Gen 1 is more of an "area lock" and not so much a spot lock. I mostly fish live bait and troll around Lake Sharpe and Lake Francis Case.

I hope to get my boat wet 10 times this year so I am trying to justify the $800 additional cost right now for the better spot lock and new unit. I haven't seen any used Gen 1 Ulterra's that are 112 lb 36 v with i pilot link to see if people are discounting them since apparently Gen 2 units are better. Any input you have would be great. Thank you.
I am sure there will be more gen 1's for sale and they will be cheaper and cheaper.I would get the new one and don't think about the cost my 2 cen't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Wallhanger

Be sure to see if the warranty is transferable. That is also a potentially a big deal. Do check on prices of the Gen 1's as deliveries on the Gen 2's get going. A new gen! might be a better deal. For me the current spot lock is adequate. Until my old trolling motor craps out I am plenty happy with ipilot link GEN 1. ymmv
From the Minn Kota site:

Minn Kota Limited Two-Year Warranty on the Entire Product
JOME warrants to the original retail purchaser only that the purchaser’s new Minn Kota freshwater trolling motor will be materially free from defects in materials and workmanship appearing within two (2) years after the dat

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 01-23-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Keeper

Default Ulterra

Be aware the Ulterra is not nearly as durable as the a Terrova if you bump stumps or rocks the Ulterra
is not the unit for you. I had one and the spot lock was mediocre at best but I seem to only turn it on when the wind is blowing and that constant back and forth drove me nuts
Old 01-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

I keep wondering what it is I do that is different than most folks...spot lock on my Ulterra works just fine.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAranger View Post
Be aware the Ulterra is not nearly as durable as the a Terrova if you bump stumps or rocks the Ulterra is not the unit for you.
Hmmm...the Ulterra has power trim...so you can raise it and lower it (even from the remote) when you are shallow and rocks and stumps are a problem.

This was one of the key reasons I bought mine...
Old 01-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Slot Fish

Not sure how good the spot lock is on the Gen 1. But after the latest update, my Terrova holds my boat good enough in wind or current. That I can fish brushpiles for crappie. And that's fishing 20ft deep with a 1/8th oz jig. Before that update it was 20ft or so.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Minnow

Default update

tnpete could you enlighten me on the latest update please. thanks
Bird 859 ci counsel
Bird 859 ci bow
Terrova 80# 60" ipilot
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Yeah, what update? Software or hardware?

Last edited by Moff; 01-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.