Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Paying with a CC and getting an email receipt when I didn't give my email! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default Paying with a CC and getting an email receipt when I didn't give my email!

OK, I had lunch at an establishment today in Columbus NE and paid with my credit card. About 20 minutes later I get an email from establishment with my receipt. I didn't give them my email and had never been there before. WTF! I called them and they use A Square on a IPad for these such transactions. How is this possible? I am not very tech savvy but I don't like this. The establishment says they don't have my email but that is what happens. I do have an IPhone. Again WTF?
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

All of our data is out there somewhere. If you are looking for your particular case I would guess it was related to your credit card company. A service you are getting from them! Hopefully it is not costing you extra. Bob
Note: I just looked at the Square app. It is a feature to be able to send email or text receipts. Where the info comes from is not mentioned.

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 01-27-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentfrank View Post
OK, I had lunch at an establishment today in Columbus NE and paid with my credit card. About 20 minutes later I get an email from establishment with my receipt. I didn't give them my email and had never been there before. WTF! I called them and they use A Square on a IPad for these such transactions. How is this possible? I am not very tech savvy but I don't like this. The establishment says they don't have my email but that is what happens. I do have an IPhone. Again WTF?

You've probably used your email in another place that using the same processing technology. Automatically links your card w your email from there on. Not much you're going to do about technology other than stick to cash. I used to feel that way, but after wife had her purse stolen, we lost about 300 in cash and well over 10k in credit expenses. Waived goodbye to the cash, but got the credit back with nothing more than a police report number and a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Can't Happen

I process transactions all the time with a square pay. I can't send an email or text receipt unless the customer inputs that information for me. Most decline. I don't even have access to the credit card information. I can only see the last four for purposes of resolving issues.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Happen View Post
I process transactions all the time with a square pay. I can't send an email or text receipt unless the customer inputs that information for me. Most decline. I don't even have access to the credit card information. I can only see the last four for purposes of resolving issues.
Well they didn't ask for anything and I didn't give them any voluntary information other than handing them my CC..
Old 01-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Wallhanger

it's now all an interconnected web
Old 01-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

In all likelihood, the establishment is one part of a larger "umbrella" organization that owns (or serves) many other businesses too. Somewhere along the line, you gave your e-mail to one of them, and it went into the giant corporate database. While companies are subject to HUGE fines for storing any credit card numbers (if they get hacked), there are also unique identifiers on the cards, that while can't be used to charge to your account, can be used to access any info the company may have on file about you.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:59 PM
Slot Fish

I am more surprised there is another member from Columbus, NE! I work though for a Credit Card company and you would be surprised how easy it is to find trends and how all that information is shared.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolsen View Post
I am more surprised there is another member from Columbus, NE! I work though for a Credit Card company and you would be surprised how easy it is to find trends and how all that information is shared.
Not from Columbus, there on business. I live about 2 hours NW in O'Neill but have a friend there and hunt the Platte.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Minnow

I'm guessing you have an iphone? Have you every bought an app on your phone with that same card? They'll sent you an email confirming the app purchase. Might be where the connection was made to your email. They pry think they are doing you some kind of favor. Seems creepy to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk