Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
150 ETEC no oil alarm in cold weather - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Keeper

Default 150 ETEC no oil alarm in cold weather

Hello
I have a 2015 150HO Etec on a Ranger that gave me a no oil alarm last spring in the cold weather. When I say cold I mean hovering around freezing or slightly above. It was my first trip of the year and waiting on service in the spring was rough for me. The service center inspected tested and primed the system and couldn't come up with anything else. They did set the motor to the XD100 oil setting from the XD50 as I have always run the XD100. I also had them do the 300 hr service as I was around 275 at the time. By the time I got it back it had warmed into the 40's and the alarm did not return.
Fast forward to this past weekend. Using the motor in the same temps as the first time I had the problem the alarm comes back on.
I spoke with the service center and he basically told me they would handle it the same way as the first time.
Looking for information from those who may have had this problem and what solution you ended up with.
I will be calling Evinrude directly this morning but I thought I might see if I could gleen any information first..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Keeper

Put some oil in it....

haha... youre welcome!

I know ... Im
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Old 11-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

I am wondering what the weight of that oil is? Cold oil doesn’t flow as well as warmer oil. Maybe that is the cause.

Frank
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Ranger Team

x100 oil is recommended for etecs in cold weather. Do 1 or 2 winterizations on your motor. Could be air bubbles in the line. The winterization should remove them. If you need more help go to etec owners group forum,
Old 11-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Keeper

I have a 2016 Etec 150 and have had two no oil alarms this year. First one was in May and the second was two weeks ago. My dealer knew what it was immediately. An air bubble gets stuck on the sensor even though it is getting oil. Said this has been happening too often since BRP updated the Etec's computer three or four years ago. Lowering it's allowance for air bubblesin line. Oil lines had to be bled both times to get sensor cleared of air bubble. I tried putting it through winterization on the water to clear it after calling dealer. Sometimes works. Could clearly see that engine was getting extra oil, but winterization did not clear air bubble. The Etec technician said he has found one of the air bubble causes to be a problem with the oil line at the sensor. He trimmed mine and believes it will correct the problem.They are going to replace oil tank and lines to sensor if this happens again. Good thing I have a 10 year warranty. Saw a side note our lakes were a slow no wake for almost two months. Motor had a lot of hours at low rpms for two months. The day the no wake was lifted oil alarm came on 15 minutes after making sure motor was warmed up and then hitting max rpms for a couple minutes. Each time it happened I also opened cap on oil tank that day before going out. Oil primer bulb was rock hard each time alarm went off. Tech said it was not the cause.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Keeper

My motor is actually a 2017.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM
Keeper

The dealer re-primed the system in the spring so If it is an air bubble I am not sure how it is getting in there. Or how to detect it.
I am running the XD100 oil and it is also set to that.
Doing a winterization multiple times can't be good for the million dollar plugs I just had replaced at my 300 hr service. Hesitant on that one.

Update....Spoke with Evinrude customer support and had a case#made. The gal was friendly but basically said if there is nothing wrong with the motor as in dealer can't find anything we won't pay for warranty work. Dealer tells me he isn't going to work on it for free. I walked out without unhooking my boat and now have another dealer that is going to look at it. He tells me he has customers on the river that use them year round so there is something going on.....

I will add that the call to Evinrude did not give me a warm and fuzzy nor did dealing with the POS dealer. Come to find out last spring he never even contacted Evinrude on the issue. They were not made aware of any work even being done on the motor. So to them it is a "new" problem.

Did I mention fish are biting like crazy here and I can't get my boat in until 12/3.
Missed last spring waiting on this now missing this fall waiting on this.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320bull View Post
The dealer re-primed the system in the spring so If it is an air bubble I am not sure how it is getting in there. Or how to detect it.
I am running the XD100 oil and it is also set to that.
Doing a winterization multiple times can't be good for the million dollar plugs I just had replaced at my 300 hr service. Hesitant on that one.

Update....Spoke with Evinrude customer support and had a case#made. The gal was friendly but basically said if there is nothing wrong with the motor as in dealer can't find anything we won't pay for warranty work. Dealer tells me he isn't going to work on it for free. I walked out without unhooking my boat and now have another dealer that is going to look at it. He tells me he has customers on the river that use them year round so there is something going on.....

I will add that the call to Evinrude did not give me a warm and fuzzy nor did dealing with the POS dealer. Come to find out last spring he never even contacted Evinrude on the issue. They were not made aware of any work even being done on the motor. So to them it is a "new" problem.

Did I mention fish are biting like crazy here and I can't get my boat in until 12/3.
Missed last spring waiting on this now missing this fall waiting on this.
I feel your frustration. Hopefully you found the right dealer to work with. When the guys around here have a problem thats a little more than out of the norm I tell them to find a dealer with a good reputation[word of mouth],check their certification whether they are certified or have the Master technician certification. This is huge. With E-tech see if they went through the EVINRUDE® ELITE TECHNICIAN™ PROGRAM. This may at times be just book smart but get a guy who can apply it and you know the rest.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonicht View Post
I feel your frustration. Hopefully you found the right dealer to work with. When the guys around here have a problem thats a little more than out of the norm I tell them to find a dealer with a good reputation[word of mouth],check their certification whether they are certified or have the Master technician certification. This is huge. With E-tech see if they went through the EVINRUDE® ELITE TECHNICIAN™ PROGRAM. This may at times be just book smart but get a guy who can apply it and you know the rest.
yes what JR said
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 PM
Slot Fish

Try researching in etec owners group site. I had same issue and winterizing as well as tightening sensor mount ( hose clamp) seemed to cure.

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...-alarm-9831395